pizzadude

Canada Eliminates Penny Costing Penny-and-a-Half to Make

Anyone think that the US will be next to ditch the cent ?

The penny, with two maple leafs on one side and Queen Elizabeth II on the other, can continue to be used in payments. As they are gradually withdrawn from circulation, price rounding on cash transactions will be required, the government said.

The calculation of the federal goods and services tax and provincial sales taxes will continue to be calculated to the penny and added to the price, with rounding only taking place on the total payment.

Non-cash payments on checks and credit cards will continue to be rounded to the nearest cent.

“If businesses round cash transactions to the nearest five-cent increment, any gains or losses relating to cash transactions (a maximum of two cents per transaction) will balance out over time,” the government said in its budget documents.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-29/canada-eliminates-penny-that-costs-penny-and-a-half-to-make...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Super Contributor
marty56

Re: Canada Eliminates Penny Costing Penny-and-a-Half to Make

pizzadude wrote:

Anyone think that the US will be next to ditch the cent ?

They way we print money, I'm thinking the $1 bill is more fair game.

11/28/2014 FICO: EQ: 796 EX:788 TU:803
Frequent Contributor
Roarmeister

The US cent costs 2.6 cents to manufacture while the base metals are only worth about 0.7 cents.  The question should be "why hasn't the US looked at dropping the penny as well?"

Personnally, I can't wait to get rid of the penny AND the nickel like New Zealand did.  Heck, even dimes are nearly worthless because I can't use them in parking meters.  All my pennies, nickels and dimes go into a drawer earmarked for CHARITIES.

AMEX_PlatinumBMOWorldMCCapOnePlatinumMBNA_Platinum+ScotiaMomentum
____$25k_______$20k_______$20k_______$25k_______$25k____
Starting Score: 676 Feb 2008; Current Score: 791 EQ; 824 CA, Dec. 2014; TU 814, Oct. 2014; Goal Score: 800 by end of year Oldest Account reported by EQ: 12 years; EQ AAoA: 5.8 years; EQ Credit Utilization: 1.9%
Senior Contributor
bichonmom

I still pick up pennies on the ground. Money is money. If you guys don't want your spare change, you can send it my way! :smileytongue:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}