Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One can visit home/work place

tag
CreditMENA
New Contributor

Capital One can visit home/work place

Glad I'm not carrying one of their cards...per the LA times: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20140218,0,2211926.column#axzz2tgIMIJTS

"Ding-dong, Cap One calling.

Credit card issuer Capital One isn't shy about getting into customers' faces. The company recently sent a contract update to cardholders that makes clear it can drop by any time it pleases.

The update specifies that "we may contact you in any manner we choose" and that such contacts can include calls, emails, texts, faxes or a "personal visit.

As if that weren't creepy enough, Cap One says these visits can be "at your home and at your place of employment."

The police need a court order to pull off something like that. But Cap One says it has the right to get up close and personal anytime, anywhere.

Rick Rofman, 71, of Van Nuys received the contract update the other day. He was spooked by the visitation rights Cap One was claiming for itself.

"Even the Internal Revenue Service cannot visit you at home without an arrest warrant," Rofman observed.

Indeed, you'd think the 4th Amendment of the Constitution, which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures, would make this sort of thing verboten.

Apparently not.

"It sounds really invasive, but I don't think it's a violation of your 4th Amendment rights," said Daniel E. Kann, a Santa Clarita lawyer who specializes in illegal-search cases.

He explained that the amendment applies primarily to searches and seizures by law enforcement, not civilians. A credit card company, in theory, could reserve the right to visit your home or office without a court order, Kann said.

But he emphasized that there are laws against harassment, not to mention stalking, and Cap One could be held accountable under such statutes if, say, it took to inviting itself over for dinner or hanging around your cubicle.

Incredibly, Cap One's aggressiveness doesn't stop with personal visits. The company's contract update also includes this little road apple:

"We may modify or suppress caller ID and similar services and identify ourselves on these services in any manner we choose."

Now that's just freaky. Cap One is saying it can trick you into picking up the phone by using what looks like a local number or masquerading as something it's not, such as Save the Puppies or a similarly friendly-seeming bogus organization.

This is known as spoofing, and it's perfectly legal. As I've written before, the federal Truth in Caller ID Act makes it a crime to use a phony number or caller ID message to commit fraud or cause harm to others.

But it's not against the law to engage in what courts have called "non-harmful spoofing," which includes businesses wearing digital disguises to penetrate a consumer's phone defenses.

Such corporate spoofing is employed primarily by telemarketers. It's weird, to say the least, for this practice to be so publicly adopted by a major credit card issuer.

Emily Rusch, executive director of the California Public Interest Research Group, a consumer advocacy organization, said it's especially troubling for Cap One to declare itself a spoofer as people grapple with recent security breaches involving Target, Neiman Marcus and other businesses.

"Now more than ever, consumers need to be able to trust companies," she said."

Message 2 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Ding Dong...it's Capital One at the door

While watching the news, I saw this report regarding Capital One's new contract.  

The update specifies that "we may contact you in any manner we choose" and that such contacts can include calls, emails, texts, faxes or a "personal visit."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20140218,0,2211926.column#ixzz2teX88tGw

Message 1 of 38
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One can visit home/work place

I read that article this morning. Very creepy. Makes me wish I could get my new cards I'm eyeing up now, so I can cancel these. I don't have or plan to have issues with them, but this kind of practice just gives me the willies.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 38
Exonumist
Established Contributor

I don't think it's that big of a deal. There are already other businesses that will come to your door to collect. If you don't want them there tell them to leave.

Message 4 of 38
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Interesting article, I wonder if any members here have already gotten the surprise from Cap1 at work.  

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 38
mo15473
Contributor

Glad I don't have that card in my wallet. Not sure how I would feel if a credit card company came to my home. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Message 6 of 38
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Personal visits may only happen when someone doesn't pay the bill and account goes in collection. Not a new thing. Car loan lenders already do that. Why would be in that place anyway of spending from your card and not paying the bill. Always spend someting that you can afford to pay back. Always pay in full. 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 7 of 38
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I wish Capital One would stop by my house, I would like to talk to them about a CLI...

When they did show up I would hope it was Samuel L Jackson and NOT Alec Baldwin!!

Message 8 of 38
Open123
Super Contributor

I wouldn't appreciate it if they dropped in my home unnanounced, but my place of business is fine, since it's open to the General Public.  If they did, I'd suggest on the Venture card, they'd allow points to redeem the fees at a bonus value, similar to US Bank's FlexPerks.

Message 9 of 38
DaJagman
Regular Contributor

Secured and Subprime loans are higher risk and they want to increase their visibility in order to further guarantee payment.

FICOs: EX: 840, EQ: 850, TU: 841
Bank of America Cash Rewards 50k
Diners Club Premier 40k
Chase Sapphire Reserve 50k
American Express Platinum NPSL
Discover it 47K
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.