Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One can visit home/work place

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One can visit home/work place

I used to work for a rent to own center and payments were due every week. If they didn't pay, then I would call them at home, or work. If they still didn't pay, I would visit their home and call the references that they left. If they still didn't pay, I would certainly add their place of employment to my visit list. The bottom line is: it works. There are three ways to avoid all of this. One is to pay one's bill on time. If the first one is impossible, then the second one is to call me and let me help you. The third, (which is irrelevant for cap 1) is to return, or ask us to pick up the merchandise and let you pick up where you left off on the payments when you get things straightened out. I never "searched or seized"  anyone's home or assets. I simply wanted to talk to them, and they didn't want to talk to me. I think it is a good strategy, from first-hand experience.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 11 of 38
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

I wish Capital One would stop by my house, I would like to talk to them about a CLI...

When they did show up I would hope it was Samuel L Jackson and NOT Alec Baldwin!!

LOL +1!  I would also like to have a nice chat about my CLI. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 12 of 38
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I wish Capital One would stop by my house, I would like to talk to them about a CLI...

When they did show up I would hope it was Samuel L Jackson and NOT Alec Baldwin!!

LOL +1!  I would also like to have a nice chat about my CLI. 

+2 ...lol, I just want sammy jackson to come by for a big kahuna burger and a sprite.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 13 of 38
toppers555
Established Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

I used to work for a rent to own center and payments were due every week. If they didn't pay, then I would call them at home, or work. If they still didn't pay, I would visit their home and call the references that they left. If they still didn't pay, I would certainly add their place of employment to my visit list. The bottom line is: it works. There are three ways to avoid all of this. One is to pay one's bill on time. If the first one is impossible, then the second one is to call me and let me help you. The third, (which is irrelevant for cap 1) is to return, or ask us to pick up the merchandise and let you pick up where you left off on the payments when you get things straightened out. I never "searched or seized"  anyone's home or assets. I simply wanted to talk to them, and they didn't want to talk to me. I think it is a good strategy, from first-hand experience.

It  works but is  very boarderline of being ethical.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 14 of 38
Open123
Super Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

Sure, but on the other hand, most of us were raised to pay our debts.  I'm not suggesting debt collectors are ethical, but "avoiding" calls from those whom you rightfully owe a debt isn't exactly a paragon of viture either.

Not being judgmental here, but I've always believed that if one couldn't honor or pay an obligation, one should notify the creditor, at the very least.  It could simply be, "If we can't work out a manageable arrangement, I'd have trouble paying.  Do what you must with the account."

Message 15 of 38
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

It is not unethical. Charging irresponsibly and not paying your bills--and not making any payment arrangements is unethical. I understand that you are a consumer, but look at it from the company's perspective: They offered an unsecured line of credit that is being defaulted on. Is it unethical to try to get a hold of someone who is in the process of defaulting and refuses to answer the phone when you call? I don't think it is at all. The ethics of the thing lies with the customer. 

My Wallet:
Message 16 of 38
toppers555
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@toppers555 wrote:

Sure, but on the other hand, most of us were raised to pay our debts.  I'm not suggesting debt collectors are ethical, but "avoiding" calls from those whom you rightfully owe a debt isn't exactly a paragon of viture either.

Not being judgmental here, but I've always believed that if one couldn't honor or pay an obligation, one should notify the creditor, at the very least.  It could simply be, "If we can't work out a manageable arrangement, I'd have trouble paying.  Do what you must with the account."

I agree communcation is a fair expectation. The problem is that some debit collectors are not merely trying to contact you . They use this as a shame tactic.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 17 of 38
toppers555
Established Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@toppers555 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

It is not unethical. Charging irresponsibly and not paying your bills--and not making any payment arrangements is unethical. I understand that you are a consumer, but look at it from the company's perspective: They offered an unsecured line of credit that is being defaulted on. Is it unethical to try to get a hold of someone who is in the process of defaulting and refuses to answer the phone when you call? I don't think it is at all. The ethics of the thing lies with the customer. 

Their are other means as well to get ahold of someone besides appearing at their place of employment.  If you are not getting a response when trying to contact someone its one thing. When you use it as a shame tactic its another thing all together. 

Message 18 of 38
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

@toppers555 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

Their are other means as well to get ahold of someone besides appearing at their place of employment.  If you are not getting a response when trying to contact someone its one thing. When you use it as a shame tactic its another thing all together. 

Do you think that showing up at a customer's place of employment is the first way that Cap 1 is using to contact customers? Come on now.

My Wallet:
Message 19 of 38
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Ding Dong...it's Capital One at the door

I just read this on the CNN website, then came here to see if anyone had posted ther LA Times article.  This was my favorite paragraph:

The rules aren't new but the L.A. Times column lit up social media and left the bank scrambling to reassure credit card customers. "Capital One does not visit our cardholders, nor do we send debt collectors to their homes or work," the bank said in an emailed statement.

I bet they were scrambling; no one ever brought attention to langauge buried deep within fine print of the disclosure.

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.