cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase call center employee arrested for stealing account information, making withdrawals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase call center employee arrested for stealing account information, making withdrawals

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase usually doesn't hire people who are over 5/24 -- five felonies in 24 months.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase call center employee arrested for stealing account information, making withdrawals

Chip technology IS supposed to make this more difficult - the problem is payment processors took a half assed approach to EMV rollout by providing a "deadline" where all merchants have to accept chip and all card issuers had to update their credit card or cover all liability for fraud occurring on non-chip transactions but then gave certain business sectors extensions or special accommodations to help "lessen the financial impact" of upgrading payment hardware. Also many retailers are afraid Americans will be pissed about the extra 5 seconds a chip transaction takes, which many are but boo hoo. All of this is why even in the fancy new chip POS terminals - half the time the store doesn't even take chip transactions despite having a slot for it & you can still just swipe a card without a chip since they don't want to break compatability with issuers who haven't bothered to update. That's why cloned cards are still a problem.
Message 12 of 18
silvius
New Contributor

It does seem to take a bit longer with a chip, but if it really did add protection those five seconds would be worth it to me.

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 13 of 18
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Chip technology IS supposed to make this more difficult - the problem is payment processors took a half assed approach to EMV rollout by providing a "deadline" where all merchants have to accept chip and all card issuers had to update their credit card or cover all liability for fraud occurring on non-chip transactions but then gave certain business sectors extensions or special accommodations to help "lessen the financial impact" of upgrading payment hardware. Also many retailers are afraid Americans will be pissed about the extra 5 seconds a chip transaction takes, which many are but boo hoo. All of this is why even in the fancy new chip POS terminals - half the time the store doesn't even take chip transactions despite having a slot for it & you can still just swipe a card without a chip since they don't want to break compatability with issuers who haven't bothered to update. That's why cloned cards are still a problem.

I'd argue the current American approach is quarter assed at best.

Full assed implementation would be chip+PIN, something that's been around in Canada and Europe since 2010 and possibly earlier.

Half assed implementation would be a proper chip-no-PIN implemtnation like what was supposed to happen here.

Quarter assed implementation is what we actually got. :/ (half assing a half assed job = quarter ass)

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd argue the current American approach is quarter assed at best.

Full assed implementation would be chip+PIN, something that's been around in Canada and Europe since 2010 and possibly earlier.

Half assed implementation would be a proper chip-no-PIN implemtnation like what was supposed to happen here.

Quarter assed implementation is what we actually got. :/ (half assing a half assed job = quarter ass)

It was supposed to be chip and signature, but now it's just chip since the networks are removing the signature requirement. 

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase usually doesn't hire people who are over 5/24 -- five felonies in 24 months.

smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought the new chip technology was to prevent duplications

I was sent two of the EXACT same chip cards. I was advised to either destroy the duplicate myself or send it back for Chase to destroy.

NOW, I do not know if the chips were the same as I am not a chip reader but the cards, other than that, were exact duplicates. Also note I am the only individual on this card.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, if I had to guess...

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.