Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank gets Costco Credit Card Deal

tag
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Costco reaches CC deal with Citi

If they'll accept any Visa, then my NFCU cashRewards will get a workout.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 71 of 152
zerbherb
Established Contributor

costco new partner

http://lifehacker.com/costco-will-accept-visa-instead-of-american-express-in-1688903669?utm_campaign...

Citi bank is fine, but they chose there  visa  cards, that suprising. They should've made the double cash the costco card.

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 72 of 152
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Citibank gets Costco Credit Card Deal

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Visa, not bad. 1.5 percent on Costco purchases with the QS sounds good.

Citi? My first reaction is me no like.

I've never had a Citi card, but just from reading around here I've gotten a not great impression. It also sounds as if the Costco TE portfolio will be sold to them so TE holders will automatically get Citi cards. For some reason (not necessarily rational) that makes me nervous.

Where did you hear exisiting TE holders will be converted?  If this is the case, might be time to get a TE card so I can get in with Citi if this is true.

That's a good idea, maybe app before too late, but don't want to app till next February, and already have two amex's quite happy with.

Signature needs updating
Message 73 of 152
yfan
Valued Contributor

@starry1 wrote:

Rewards-wise, this is the same as the QuickSilver, right, or am I missing something?

Message 74 of 152
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I'm so disappointed that the deal is predicated upon the sale of the portfolio of existing TE card holders.  Does this mean that our relationship with Amex ends completely once the transition is complete?  I'm more concerned about losing my only Amex rather than losing my ability to use it at Costco.  Smiley Sad

I hope that Citi offers an enticing reward structure for this new card similar to the TE (but better!), but talk about a step down in quality.  Citi has horrendous customer service for the most part and I say this as someone who was hoping MasterCard would win the bid so I could use my Citi Double Cash at Costco.

When one CCC buys out the portfolio of another company's product, does that mean you automatically bypass the HP process or is your transfer still subject to UW review?  I would hate to waste a HP on this when Visas are already a dime a dozen and especially if the new Citi card doesn't offer any direct perks for shopping at Costco (i.e., only 1% back for Costco spend like the TE).  I'd rather take a hard pull on another Visa product that offers more than 1% for general spend or has some other perks that aren't redundant to what I already have on other cards.  This news makes the Quicksilver card and the Fidelity Visa more valuable and enticing.

Message 75 of 152
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Visa, not bad. 1.5 percent on Costco purchases with the QS sounds good.

Citi? My first reaction is me no like.

I've never had a Citi card, but just from reading around here I've gotten a not great impression. It also sounds as if the Costco TE portfolio will be sold to them so TE holders will automatically get Citi cards. For some reason (not necessarily rational) that makes me nervous.

Where did you hear exisiting TE holders will be converted?  If this is the case, might be time to get a TE card so I can get in with Citi if this is true.

This report says the deal with Citi hinges on them acquiring the existing co-brand card portfolio:

http://seekingalpha.com/pr/12681686-costco-enters-into-a-long-term-co-brand-credit-card-agreement-with-citi-and-an-acceptance-and-co-brand-agreement-with-visa

I hope it's not true. I'd rather have some choice in the matter.

I had presumed that AmEx would just convert its TE cardholders over to other AmEx products, and that for customers, getting the new cobranded card would be a new application. But yeah, the article makes it sound like Citi will take over the existing TE accounts from AmEx. On the plus side, that means no new credit pull required to get the new cobranded card. OTOH, if my two AmEx TE cards just go away, I'll have two less cards to plunder on Small Business Saturday, and for all of the AmEx Offers throughout the year.  Those offers aren't enough to justify a credit pull to get an AmEx, but it's been a nice benefit of having a couple of AmExes in my portfolio.

Overall, though, this works for me. I spend ~$8k per year at CostCo, with a wide range of purchase totals, from $3 to $3,000+. CostCo taking Visa will make it easier to meet my RCA debit card requirement (at least 10 sig transactions, at least $100 total), and my BofA BBR purchases (four cards = four transactions per month). Beyond that, I'll be using my USBank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa (effectively nearing 2% CB), when I'm not fulfilling the spending requirement on a new Visa card promo.

I'll be interested to hear what Citi offers as their "genereous" rewards on the cobranded card.  5% restaurant would be nice. Smiley Very Happy

Chris.

G... Gosh Darn, you have a helluva lot of cards. Smiley Tongue

Signature needs updating
Message 76 of 152
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

Additional.  This article from Fortune, is more focused on Visa as the network, rather than Citi as the co-branded issuer:

Visa Wins Costco

Addendum:  I think it was a disservice for moderator movement of this from the Credit Card forum to the In The News forum.  Just my opinion.

Don't worry, there will be more threads in the cc forum, what about my TE subjects,

Signature needs updating
Message 77 of 152
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

I'm so disappointed that the deal is predicated upon the sale of the portfolio of existing TE card holders.  Does this mean that our relationship with Amex ends completely once the transition is complete?  I'm more concerned about losing my only Amex rather than losing my ability to use it at Costco.  Smiley Sad

I hope that Citi offers an enticing reward structure for this new card similar to the TE, but talk about a step down in quality.  Citi has horrendous customer service for the most part and I say this as someone who was hoping MasterCard would win the bid so I could use my Citi Double Cash at Costco.

When one CCC buys out the portfolio of another company's product, does that mean you automatically bypass the HP process or is your transfer still subject to UW review?  I would hate to waste a HP on this when Visas are already a dime a dozen and especially if the new Citi card doesn't offer any direct perks for shopping at Costco (i.e., only 1% back for Costco spend like the TE).  I'd rather take a hard pull on another Visa product that offers more than 1% for general spend or has some other perks that aren't redundant to what I already have on other cards.  This news makes the Quicksilver card and the Fidelity Visa more valuable and enticing.

With this new deal, you do NOT need to take a HP to get a new card.  It seems to me that there are 2 options.

1) Citi purchases Amex's portfolio.  The Amex TE card expires and is replaced with Citi's new cobranded card (which, hopefully, has a decent rewards structure).

2) Citi purchases Amex's portfolio.  In an attempt to maintain it's customer base, Amex offers to issue a new card to existing card holders with no HP.

Granted, option 2 is unlikely, but one can hope!

Message 78 of 152
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I hope that Citi offers an enticing reward structure for this new card similar to the TE, but talk about a step down in quality.  Citi has horrendous customer service for the most part and I say this as someone who was hoping MasterCard would win the bid so I could use my Citi Double Cash at Costco.

With this new deal, you do NOT need to take a HP to get a new card.  It seems to me that there are 2 options.

1) Citi purchases Amex's portfolio.  The Amex TE card expires and is replaced with Citi's new cobranded card (which, hopefully, has a decent rewards structure).

2) Citi purchases Amex's portfolio.  In an attempt to maintain it's customer base, Amex offers to issue a new card to existing card holders with no HP.

Granted, option 2 is unlikely, but one can hope!

Option 2 would be ideal - two new cards and no HP for either!  *wishful thinking*

Smiley Tongue

Message 79 of 152
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@starry1 wrote:

Rewards-wise, this is the same as the QuickSilver, right, or am I missing something?

Yes it does basically have the same rewards. For me at least, I PC'd my Platinum MC to a QS MC so it's not a VISA for me. So NFCU Cash has the best general spend bonus I have for VISA, and due to the expected low swipe fee VISA agreed to in this deal, I doubt any VISA issuers will have any special bonus category that offers greater than 1.5%

Message 80 of 152
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.