Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Companies & Old Debts: The Real Deal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Companies & Old Debts: The Real Deal

http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news/real_deal/story.aspx?content_id=186063fb-1aff-44e1-a909-b60385d33b...

Syracuse, New York (WSYR-TV) - If you've received a collection notice for a debt that isn't yours or is more than a decade old, you're not alone!  We’ve told you about how a company called AFNI is sending out threatening letters demanding you pay up on old Verizon accounts and we've heard of similar stories with other collection companies.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Companies & Old Debts: The Real Deal

I am still fighting a battle with AFNI.  They have an account that I thought was just reaging on my report.  I just realized this was an old account on my BK.  I recently sent letters to Charter, the OC and AFNI to threaten to sue if it is not corrected.  I am also disputing with the CRA's.  Like I said before AFNI is the worst of the worst.  All we all have to do is not pay or settle and they should go out of business.
Message 2 of 5
Dawn
Established Contributor

I wish these articles would take their advice a step further. 

There is generally the implication that you can blow these people off because the debt is past SOL (and maybe CRTP.) 

However, don't you still need to be on the alert for any notices regarding their attempt to sue anyway so you can protect yourself from them obtaining a default judgement against you? 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

denbar2003 wrote:
I wish these articles would take their advice a step further.

Baby steps, my friend, baby steps. Reporters have a short attention span. We have to be thankful when they actually get something right, or mostly so.

Message 4 of 5
Dawn
Established Contributor

Noah_Bodie wrote:

Baby steps, my friend, baby steps. Reporters have a short attention span. We have to be thankful when they actually get something right, or mostly so.

I know Smiley Sad

As it is, I am trying to get my family and friends to recognize that when they terminate an account with various service providers, they need to make certain that they keep proof of final billing and payment just in case something pops up unexpectedly further down the line.  Where I would normally get rid of those types of records after a few years ... that no longer seems to be a wise choice to make.

I now go so far as to suggest that service providers be contacted after the dust settles and confirm again that they have a zero balance with them.  Unfortunately, sometimes all I get is a verbal confirmation and can't get a final "zero balance" statement.

Several years ago, when I moved, I turned my cable modem in (the day I left town.)  Of course, they didn't tell me at that point that I hadn't included the "power supply." 

Eventually, I got a bill for a ridiculous amount of money for that stupid power supply.   I paid the silly thing because I couldn't figure out WHICH of the various power supplies we had around the house was the correct one to send back. Fortunately, I did receive this bill ... otherwise I would never have known that I had an outstanding "balance" with the provider.  I could now be on the receiving end of a debt collector's call.  Smiley Sad 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.