Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Credit Bureaus to start accepting Cell Phone/Cable bill history?

Hi everyone,

I just finished watching a piece on NBC Nightly News where they talked about the credit bureaus soon accepting payment history from cell phone and cable/internet bills.  It is going to help millions of consumers boost their scores quickly if true!  Does anyone have any insight on this?  Is this really something being considered because online I can find nothing on this.  Thanks.

Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Bureaus to start accepting Cell Phone/Cable bill history?

[ Edited ]

This article is about a 1 1/2 old, but it talks about it some.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/10/your-money/new-credit-score-systems-could-open-lending-to-more-co...

Gardening till December 2017
AMEX Platinum NPSL| BCP| AMEX ED| BBVA NBA AMEX| Venture| QS| BoA Cash Rewards
Established Contributor

This is very interesting, thanks for posting this.

I can see my FICO score benefiting from positive payment history every month that I pay my phone/cable bills on time

At the same time I would be concerned that my AAoA would be negatively afftected if I switch phone/cable carriers.

Interesting. This would make sense, and be better for both the Lender and consumer. I know ATT&T pulled my credit to get a cell phone almost 10 years ago, and things have changed a lot with respect to credit, cell phones, etc. More and more people are actually paying for their phones within their monthly bill now. A lot of people are walking away from paying in full. Also, Data plans, charges, overages etc have shocked a lot of customers, and has probably led to missed payments and specifics like this could help each unique industry.

Valued Contributor

I wonder if the accounts will be backdated? I've had AT&T for 20 plus years! and Uverse for 10+ years. 

EQ688
TU676
EX707

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

The NCTUE has been collecting data on cable and cell phone accounts (as well as gas, electric, and water utilities) for some years.  I pulled my NCTUE report last year.

National Consumer Telecom & Utilities Exchange Collects information on new  telecom and utility connect requests,  account and payment histories, defaults, and fraudulent accounts associated with telecommunications, pay TV, and utility (electric,  gas, water) services. The NCTUE reports this information to companies in the telecommunications, utilities and pay TV industries to help companies manage the credit risk of their  current and potential new customers.

Free report: The company will provide one free report every 12 months if you request it.

From page 30 of:

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201604_cfpb_list-of-consumer-reporting-companies.pdf

Just an FYI.

Established Contributor

As long as the payment history shows consistent on-time payments, that would certainly be helpful. When I was researching upgrading my smartphone this past winter, one reason I decided to stick with my current no-contract provider (Straight Talk), buy the new phone retail and stick a new SIM card into it was that cell phone accounts aren't reported to CRA's unless you get in trouble with late payments.

Rebuilding credit since 12/14 Ch7 BK discharge. FICO 6/28/17:TU 646/EX 680/EQ 677 FICO 8 or 693 NG 2, VS 3.0 7/20/17: TU 705/EX 666/EQ 691. $800 Amazon Prime Store Card, $951 Cap One secured Platinum MC, $1200 Walmart Store Card, $2000 Apple FCU Platinum Visa, $3000 Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa, $3000 Cap One Quicksilver MC, $3300 Discover It, $4000 Overstock Store Card, $10k PenFed used car loan, $5k Navient student loan. In the garden as of 7/2/17 AND THIS TIME I REALLY MEAN IT!!! (unless I get a preapproval I can't refuse...)

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.