Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Freeze Bill in Virginia Legislature

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Freeze Bill in Virginia Legislature

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=600&sid=1351625

The proposed bills would allow the reporting agencies to charge a fee of $10 to each agency for placing and removing a freeze, with no charge to temporarily lift one. The service would be free to identity theft victims.

No charge for a temporary lift is one of the BEST proposals I've heard to date among all the various states' credit freeze laws.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Freeze Bill in Virginia Legislature

Noah_Bodie wrote:
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=600&sid=1351625

The proposed bills would allow the reporting agencies to charge a fee of $10 to each agency for placing and removing a freeze, with no charge to temporarily lift one. The service would be free to identity theft victims.

No charge for a temporary lift is one of the BEST proposals I've heard to date among all the various states' credit freeze laws.

Washington, DC currently does not charge for a temporary lift.

ETA:  EQ did not charge me for the two temp lifts I did, but today they claim the fee is $10 and they cannot waive it.  I read their letter out loud to the supervisor "There is no charge to temporarily lift the security freeze for a  specific time, party or parties" but they refuse to accept that they sent a letter that says that.  Hello, FTC, here I come ...

ETA #2: I armed myself with a copy of the DC Code plus a fact sheet from the AG's office which clearly states they cannot charge to lift a freeze.  I called EQ and got a CSR who lifted the freeze without a single mention of any charge.  Sometimes, all it takes is talking to 5 people ...

Message Edited by masdeocho on 03-04-2008 01:51 PM

Message Edited by masdeocho on 03-05-2008 05:32 PM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.