Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Hangover, Big Headache For American Express

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Credit Hangover, Big Headache For American Express

...And here I thought Amex was ahead of the other CC issuers with all of the AA they have been taking against their card holders.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE49094X20081001

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Hangover, Big Headache For American Express

I missed it, who beat them to the punch? I always figured it was AmEx who introduced it on such a broad scale.

I said six months ago, and I'll say it again: in another few years, AmEx's broadening of customer base and introduction of so many revolvers, with the following panicky AA, will wind up in business textbooks as a case study of how not to expand your credit customer base.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Amex will be gobbled-up by one the huge boys. Even though Amex has some sub-prime card holders in their portfolio, they still have a ton of uber-prime card holders who have been with them for more than 25 years. I can see BoA, Chase, CITI and maybe even HSBC finding Amex's portfolio to be VERY attractive. I still think Discover will have the same fate.
Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

No, no way Discover.

And you honestly see this happening with American Express? Although I suppose I can see this, since they don't have the anchoring mortgage accounts and all.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
No, no way Discover.

And you honestly see this happening with American Express? Although I suppose I can see this, since they don't have the anchoring mortgage accounts and all.

Also, AMEX does a LOT of Corporate Card business. My company, for instance -- we're supposed to use our Corporate AMEX for travel expenses as much as possible because our internal expense account system is integrated with the AMEX transaction data so I can submit most costs with just a few mouseclicks.  Then our computer automagically pays the AMEX computer, eliminating paper checks.

Message Edited by MattH on 10-02-2008 07:47 PM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 5 of 6
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Discover is holding up better than almost all of the other CC issuers.

American Express has had a larger increase in charge offs than Capital One.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.