Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Scores Could Rise With FICO’s New Model

tag
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

"...Fannie and Freddie did not say whether they had plans to switch to the updated FICO score that weighs medical collections less heavily. But they both said they were confident in the tools they use."

Guess the thinking goes that if the Experian v2 (1999) score did the job 15 years ago, why change? Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Scores Could Rise With FICO’s New Model

@Barry wrote:

"...Fannie and Freddie did not say whether they had plans to switch to the updated FICO score that weighs medical collections less heavily. But they both said they were confident in the tools they use."

Guess the thinking goes that if the Experian v2 (1999) score did the job 15 years ago, why change? Smiley Frustrated

Given the current GSE's role and unfortunate now government intervention, there's really no impetus for them to move.

Also being coldly cynical, we've seen where people who had problems in the past (including yours truly) with clean sheets since then have higher scores under FICO 8 and likely will be the case with FICO 9 too: also given the higher emphasis on recent history / current revolving balances and open tradelines, I would suggest it's more manipulable by the average bear too.

As a result, given the GSE's role of essentially buying tons of mortgages, they're going to be as restrictive as possible, and I doubt the government is going to mandate a particular score to be used, so in the interest of maximizing profit while minimizing risk, if it were me, I'd hold pat until I was forced to change.

Consumers can't win on this one sadly short of a near miracle happening, much as I personally wish they would switch.

        
Message 2 of 3
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Credit Scores Could Rise With FICO’s New Model

@Revelate wrote:

As a result, given the GSE's role of essentially buying tons of mortgages, they're going to be as restrictive as possible, and I doubt the government is going to mandate a particular score to be used, so in the interest of maximizing profit while minimizing risk, if it were me, I'd hold pat until I was forced to change.

Consumers can't win on this one sadly short of a near miracle happening, much as I personally wish they would switch.

Hi Revelate,

While I agree there's little, if any, incentive for F&F to update to the newer models, an argument could be made that, by adopting the more predictive (according to the good people who provide us with this community) as well as consumer-friendly FICO models, mortgage lenders and GSE's could could actually increase their profits by making mortgages available to a larger number of creditworthy consumers without increasing risk. But, unfortunately, I share your cynicism.

-Barry

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.