Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards: 3 you can close, 1 you shouldn't

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Credit cards: 3 you can close, 1 you shouldn't

In today's news (mods, please give it twelve hours before moving it.) The advice appears reasonable. The term "mid-billing cycle" may refer to the statement date, close to the halfway point between the beginning of the statement cycle (30 days before) and the due date (25 days after).

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Re: Credit cards: 3 you can close, 1 you shouldn't

If ya knew it was the wrong category why not post it in the correct one?

Oddly enough I dont agree with everything they wrote.  I disagree with more than 1 part of it.

Thanks for the article though!

*edit*

Just read it was a commentary not part of USA today, probably why I disagree with some of it.  Its someones opinion.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@japakar wrote:

If ya knew it was the wrong category why not post it in the correct one?

Oddly enough I dont agree with everything they wrote.  I disagree with more than 1 part of it.

Thanks for the article though!

*edit*

Just read it was a commentary not part of USA today, probably why I disagree with some of it.  Its someones opinion.

Yeah and really what is the right decision for one person might not be the right decision for another. It's all situational and a balance of positives and negatives.

Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Isn't a terrible article but it's sloppy.  If you have an unused card with an annual fee, it's a good choice for cutting.  Fee vs. Free same rewards, sure cut that Fee card too.  Beyond that it falls apart for all the usual reasons and some strange ones...

Vis a vis mid-cycle reports can happen sure, I've had BOFA do it to me once, but it's pretty rare as generally only if you step outside of your usual pattern as I understand it.  I've gone Amex A-maxing a few times and never had one as an example and beat the hell out of both my Sallie and Fidelity cards at one point without issue... and heck these days Chase will mid-cycle report a $0 balance after it's been paid (!).  Most places paying pre-statement date is just peachy, or before the end of the month if you have an old-school reporter (hi DCU!) in your profile, I don't even know where the author picked this one up from but I haven't been paying attention to the talking heads for the past year give or take.

Closing the newest card: unfortunately that's like being a little bit pregnant and I'm guessing this is a CK-anism   It's on there, it'll affect your AAOA for as long as it's reported, 10 years after it's been closed.  I do agree all things being equal I'd close a newer card than an older one, but it's incredibly rare that two cards (other than maybe tradeline farms, but if you are doing that anyway you don't need my or this article's advice) will be equivalent for a given individual.  Maybe if we go back to no rewards land but I think that's here to stay personally.

        
Message 4 of 5
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

The article itself is fine. Thing is... its geared toward those who are less credit saavy. Of course those of us who hav been in the game for awhile hav fined tuned strategies that work for our particular lifestyle. But if you're still figuring things out I think this can serve as a general guideline that wont hav U out on a limb if you arent yet comfortable enuff to manipulate credit in a manner that will fully maximize it to your benefit and are perhaps borderline on which direction to take. Still, assuming one is looking to increase their knowledge its reasonable to presume they're gathering as much info as possible.

So its safe enuff for newbies that I believe following it for the most part wont land them in hot water.

**We all had to crawl b4 we could walk**

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.