Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collectors Try to Put on a Friendlier Face

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Debt Collectors Try to Put on a Friendlier Face

Just in time for a recession, the debt collection industry is working to shed its reputation for remorselessly hounding people.

Oh, the collectors still want the money. But now they would like to be seen as helpful and sympathetic, even a force for good.

They have started calling the indebted “our customers.” They are pushing consumer tips on the ideal way to respond when a collector comes calling (basically: pay up). They note that debt collecting is an old American tradition. (Abraham Lincoln was a debt collector, some histories say.) They point out how, in a time of rising unemployment, they are hiring.

“Collectors actually care about consumers,” said Rozanne Andersen, general counsel of ACA International, the main industry trade group. “They want to teach consumers how to get out of debt. They’re trying to put themselves out of business.”

If so, they are doing a poor job. So many people are in so much debt that the government says bill collecting is one of the fastest-growing businesses. By 2016, employment in it is projected to exceed half a million workers, up 23 percent in a decade.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Debt Collectors Try to Put on a Friendlier Face

' “Collectors actually care about consumers,” said Rozanne Andersen, general counsel of ACA International, the main industry trade group. “They want to teach consumers how to get out of debt. They’re trying to put themselves out of business.” ' --Gag, retch. Oh, please.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

“Collectors actually care about consumers,” said Rozanne Andersen, general counsel of ACA International, the main industry trade group."

And for those who believe this, I've got a bridge for sale.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually if you go to ACA's website- 
You will find this group is doing lots of good things to the CA industry- 

ThundaMan wrote:
“Collectors actually care about consumers,” said Rozanne Andersen, general counsel of ACA International, the main industry trade group."

And for those who believe this, I've got a bridge for sale.

Message 4 of 8
moonman
Frequent Contributor

some ca are using local numbers and cell phone numbers to get people to answer the calls.leopards in my opinion never change their spots.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way that CA's are trying to teach debtor's how to get out of debt is the most expensive way possible with the worst long term consequences for their Fico scores possible.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't seen that friendlier face. In my opinion, they're just as ruthless as they ever were. What can they possibly gain from being nice to debtors??? Absolutely nothing.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they are truly "trying to put themselves out of business", then why don't they automatically tell their "customers" that the Fair Debt Collections Act permits consumers to request that the CA's only communicate via the mail (i.e. no phone calls, no work communication, nothing after 8PM, etc.)........

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.