Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt buyers fined for using misleading practices to collect payments

tag
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

Re: Debt buyers fined for using misleading practices to collect payments

I recently went after Midland with a direct dispute letter citing their reporting methods (appearing as a creditor)

and got back a letter basically saying they don't understand what I'm disputing.  CFPB complaint now filed.

It just burns me up that Midland and LVNV use these illegal tactics and CFPB doesn't address it specifically

with a separate administrative proceeding.

Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, if I have a PRA settled account from last year on my reports, do I have a chance of getting it removed from my reports as a result of this ruling?
Typically, I would just accept it and not try and find a loophole, especially considering that this was a valid debt which I owed and they never really harassed me at all. However this is the only negative hanging onto my account and I think I will likely have it for 3-4 more years. If I can get rid of it based on a technicality, that would be tremendous, especially while I am preparing to get a mortgage in the coming months!
Message 22 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

mato01 - awesome news! Thanks for the info Smiley Happy
Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 24 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw it too...

Message 25 of 40
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

I had a Midland fall off this year too and noticed a 40-50 pt jump in the same time period.....maybe not all in part due to this fall off.

But the charge was ridculous and I couldn't shake it.

$3500 worth of debt that was over 20yrs old and they had escalated it to +$22k claiming interest accumalation....and wouldn't take any form or payment or agreement....just PIF.

So guess what they ended up with.

stupid

Message 26 of 40
socialknitter

This is my first official post to the forums so please forgive any errors.  Is Arrow Financial services who is no longer in business associated with these companies?

Message 27 of 40
PdxGirl
Valued Member

I have two default judgements with Midland and one with PRA.  I agreed to a payment plan (have court documents showing this) and have been making payments on time for years without really reducing the balance due to interest charges.  These go back to 2009.

Can I expect that I will not have to pay these out?  Will these be among the ones deleted and uncollectible?  I'm thinking because these are official judgements that I agreed to pay on, that I will continue to be responsible for them. I've paid these collectors so much already (more than I owed, if you discount the interest).

I live in a state where you can't have a paid judgement vacated and it's renewal for 10 years.

Message 28 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@socialknitter wrote:

This is my first official post to the forums so please forgive any errors.  Is Arrow Financial services who is no longer in business associated with these companies?

Welcome to the forums!

I found this article that says a large portion of the debt that Arrow Financial Services owned was bought up by LVNV, part of the Sherman Group.

here is the link to the article:

http://consumerrecoverynetwork.com/arrow-financial-services-debt-buyer-closed-shop-debts-purchased-l...

HTH

Message 29 of 40
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

What about PRA?   

I have a satisfied Judgement on my credit report that I would LOVE removed with the help of this lawsuit. Will PRA be affected by this ruling as well?

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.