Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt collection firm to pay largest-ever FTC penalty

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Debt collection firm to pay largest-ever FTC penalty

Massive debt collection firm Expert Global Solutions has agreed to pay a $3.2 million civil penalty to settle charges it violated consumers' rights when attempting to collect debts, according to the Federal Trade Commission......

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/debt-collection-firm-pay-largest-ever-ftc-penalty-allegedly-harass...

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
aot2009
Regular Contributor

Re: Debt collection firm to pay largest-ever FTC penalty

lol good

Message 2 of 10
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I am glad to see they have to pay up. Not all collection firms are evil though. Some are just hard working people like us trying to make a living. 

Message 3 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

Sadly they were able to pay.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

IMO, if they had to pay that much in fines, they should not be allowed to ever collect again,

The fines alone tell you what kind of CA they are.  And if they can afford to pay that, they will keep doing what they did.

Message 6 of 10
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

IMO, if they had to pay that much in fines, they should not be allowed to ever collect again,

The fines alone tell you what kind of CA they are.  And if they can afford to pay that, they will keep doing what they did.

Very true. It should be a one strike and your out. Its like Baseball and PED's

Message 7 of 10
tld409
Regular Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Also agree but unfortunately, I'm sure they would reappear under a different name Smiley Mad

Starting Score 630 Score: Current FICO Scores: All above 725 (04/01/2015)
Sallie Mae World MC 9k; Chase Freedom 6.5k; CareCredit 13.2k; Amex BCP 21.8k;Amex PRG; BOA123 Visa Sig 20k; CapOne WMC 7.5K; CSP Visa Sig 2K; Citi Simp Visa 6.9k; CFCU Visa 17k; Discover IT 7K; JCP MC 8K; Macys Amex 7.5K/2k; PSECU Visa/PSL 20/20K; SamsClub MC 20k; Walmart 10k
Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@tld409 wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Also agree but unfortunately, I'm sure they would reappear under a different name Smiley Mad

Could be.  But hopefully there is something that would keep them from doing that,.

Message 9 of 10
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

I couldn't agree more.  Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I had no idea CA's were that huge in terms of them being able to pay off a fine like that.  I wish there was something that could be done to 'reimburse' those who were affected by their practices though.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.