Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt collector 'collets' law suit against itself

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt collector 'collets' law suit against itself

Found this really interesting and frustrating..

https://consumerist.com/2016/08/16/debt-collector-gets-out-of-lawsuit-by-buying-the-lawsuit-out-from...

@Consumerist wrote:
When you sue a debt collector for allegedly violating federal law, that collector can’t just go behind your back, buy the debt on the cheap at auction and get the whole case dismissed, can it? That tactic worked for one collection agency and, depending on how a federal appeals court rules, it could lead to many other debt collectors buying their way out of legal trouble.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Debt collector 'collets' law suit against itself

WOW...Im floored.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an amazing article.  I shared it on my FB but also included a summation since the article is quite lengthy.  I'll include that summation here:

* Collection company acquires medical debt and sends notice to debtor.
* Collection company's notice confuses debtor by switching up dates in the notice (one part saying respond in 30 days, another 20).
* Collection company received default judgement at the 20 days.
* Debtor sues for violation of the FDCPA due to the collection company's confusing letter as well as it's name (sounds like a government entity).

Here's where it gets really F'd up:

* Collection company uses it's judgement to have county sheriff seize property. However the "property" seized is the debtors legal right to challenge the judgement in a suit.
* Collection company then sells that "property" at auction.
* Collection company is the only participant in the auction and buy's the debtors legal right to sue for $250.
* Collection company then has FDCPA challenge dismissed since the debtor no longer has the right to sue.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
WOW...Im floored.

Yeah, crazy that the legal system allows this. I couldn't believe my eyes when reading the article. 

Message 4 of 5
iv
Valued Contributor

That... is really broken.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.