cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover switching from Chip/Signature to Chip/PIN

Established Contributor

Re: Discover switching from Chip/Signature to Chip/PIN


Glen_M wrote:

I have a "Check ID" statement on mine, and in ten years and who knows how many thousand transactions, there is only one teller at one store who has ever asked to see my ID.  I thanked her for doing so.

 

Signatures are a farce, so even a flawed PIN system can hardly be a downgrade.


VISA regulations prohibit a merchant from asking for an ID to validate a CC. You could actually report the clerk who IDed you and the company she works for would get scolded.






EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 41 of 52
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover switching from Chip/Signature to Chip/PIN


14Fiesta wrote:

Glen_M wrote:

I have a "Check ID" statement on mine, and in ten years and who knows how many thousand transactions, there is only one teller at one store who has ever asked to see my ID.  I thanked her for doing so.

 

Signatures are a farce, so even a flawed PIN system can hardly be a downgrade.


VISA regulations prohibit a merchant from asking for an ID to validate a CC. You could actually report the clerk who IDed you and the company she works for would get scolded.


Interesting! I always get asked to show ID at the Apple Store even if it's a VISA card.

Gardening until September 2018
Next app: Mortgage in September 2018
Message 42 of 52
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Discover switching from Chip/Signature to Chip/PIN


14Fiesta wrote:

Glen_M wrote:

I have a "Check ID" statement on mine, and in ten years and who knows how many thousand transactions, there is only one teller at one store who has ever asked to see my ID.  I thanked her for doing so.

 

Signatures are a farce, so even a flawed PIN system can hardly be a downgrade.


VISA regulations prohibit a merchant from asking for an ID to validate a CC. You could actually report the clerk who IDed you and the company she works for would get scolded.


 Well THAT seems kind've silly...  What's the thinking about them not wanting merchants to ask for ID?

 

 My local grocery store had a huge increase in credit card fraud a couple years ago, and they went to asking EVERYBODY for their ID to verify.  I had no problem with it...

Cap1 Venture: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | NFCU CR: $15K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Cap1 Savor: 10K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | Discover IT: $6K | Sportsman's Guide: $5.9K | NRA: $5.5K | Legacy Visa: $2.75K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | Cap1 PS: 2K | Cabela's: $1K

 

Current Scores: EQ: 718 | TU: 742 | EX: 716



 

Message 43 of 52
Valued Contributor

Discovers ditching Chip and Sig... Huzzah

Always thought it wasnt the smartest idea of the US banks and CUs to go with Chip and Sig when most everyone else uses Chip and Pin which is quite a bit more secure...

 

Glad Discover decided to do this..

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/discover-transition-chip-pin-cards/

Message 44 of 52
Super Contributor

Re: Discovers ditching Chip and Sig... Huzzah

Note, the Doctor of Credit Post you cited is May 10, 2016. To the best of my knowledge, Discover has not changed their cards to Chip & Pin. My new card was Chip & Signature.
Starting Score: 807
Current Score: 828
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 45 of 52
Valued Contributor

Re: Discovers ditching Chip and Sig... Huzzah

Grrrh. Thought i saw a newer article..

 

Anyways this thread is more current 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Discover-switching-from-Chip-Signature-to-Chip-PI...

 

Message 46 of 52
Super Contributor

Re: Discovers ditching Chip and Sig... Huzzah


joltdude wrote:

Grrrh. Thought i saw a newer article..

 

Anyways this thread is more current 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Discover-switching-from-Chip-Signature-to-Chip-PI...

 


Unless some posters have information from Discover, my replacement card came as Chip & Signature. Other than the posts on the MyFico site, I was not aware that Discover was changing to Chip & Pin. In a follow up on this post, I contacted Discover Card (by telephone on Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 11:24 CDT) and was informed very clearly by the Discover Card Ohio Center that a Pin was required to access cash but a Signature was generally required for purchases above certain dollar limits. Also, they were not aware from any internal communications that such an action was taking place. Truth we know that sometimes the information is held away from the public however, all of this supposed change was from back to May of 2016. It would seem that by now someone would have found more solid current information. Possibly, Discover was looking at the matter and set it back for some reason and will come back to it in the near future.

Starting Score: 807
Current Score: 828
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 47 of 52
Established Contributor

Re: Discovers ditching Chip and Sig... Huzzah


Dinosaur wrote:

joltdude wrote:

Grrrh. Thought i saw a newer article..

 

Anyways this thread is more current 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Discover-switching-from-Chip-Signature-to-Chip-PI...

 


Unless some posters have information from Discover, my replacement card came as Chip & Signature. Other than the posts on the MyFico site, I was not aware that Discover was changing to Chip & Pin. In a follow up on this post, I contacted Discover Card (by telephone on Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 11:24 CDT) and was informed very clearly by the Discover Card Ohio Center that a Pin was required to access cash but a Signature was generally required for purchases above certain dollar limits. Also, they were not aware from any internal communications that such an action was taking place. Truth we know that sometimes the information is held away from the public however, all of this supposed change was from back to May of 2016. It would seem that by now someone would have found more solid current information. Possibly, Discover was looking at the matter and set it back for some reason and will come back to it in the near future.


I suspect there was an internal pilot that didn't go well so they scrapped the whole idea. As someone with "true" chip and PIN cards, I've had acceptance issues more than once due to customer-inaccessible terminals--to the point where I no longer use those cards domestically much if at all. That doesn't include all the times where they just manually entered the card number or forced a chip failure so that they could swipe instead, either.

 

The above is probably also why USAA abandoned PIN preference, but that's speculation on my part.

Message 48 of 52
Super Contributor

Re: Discovers ditching Chip and Sig... Huzzah


tmiw wrote:

Dinosaur wrote:

joltdude wrote:

Grrrh. Thought i saw a newer article..

 

Anyways this thread is more current 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Discover-switching-from-Chip-Signature-to-Chip-PI...

 


Unless some posters have information from Discover, my replacement card came as Chip & Signature. Other than the posts on the MyFico site, I was not aware that Discover was changing to Chip & Pin. In a follow up on this post, I contacted Discover Card (by telephone on Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 11:24 CDT) and was informed very clearly by the Discover Card Ohio Center that a Pin was required to access cash but a Signature was generally required for purchases above certain dollar limits. Also, they were not aware from any internal communications that such an action was taking place. Truth we know that sometimes the information is held away from the public however, all of this supposed change was from back to May of 2016. It would seem that by now someone would have found more solid current information. Possibly, Discover was looking at the matter and set it back for some reason and will come back to it in the near future.


I suspect there was an internal pilot that didn't go well so they scrapped the whole idea. As someone with "true" chip and PIN cards, I've had acceptance issues more than once due to customer-inaccessible terminals--to the point where I no longer use those cards domestically much if at all. That doesn't include all the times where they just manually entered the card number or forced a chip failure so that they could swipe instead, either.

 

The above is probably also why USAA abandoned PIN preference, but that's speculation on my part.


Hey tmiw appreciate the insight! It is good to hear how the Chip & Pin Cards work or don't in the US Chip & Signature environment. I had a USAA World MasterCard that was Chip & Pin back to 2010 but experienced no problems as I never ran across a terminal that could deal with it in the US, the terminals ignored the Pin feature. Wondered why USAA dropped the Chip & Pin preference. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 807
Current Score: 828
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 49 of 52
Established Contributor

Re: Discovers ditching Chip and Sig... Huzzah


Dinosaur wrote:

tmiw wrote:

Dinosaur wrote:

joltdude wrote:

Grrrh. Thought i saw a newer article..

 

Anyways this thread is more current 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Discover-switching-from-Chip-Signature-to-Chip-PI...

 


Unless some posters have information from Discover, my replacement card came as Chip & Signature. Other than the posts on the MyFico site, I was not aware that Discover was changing to Chip & Pin. In a follow up on this post, I contacted Discover Card (by telephone on Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 11:24 CDT) and was informed very clearly by the Discover Card Ohio Center that a Pin was required to access cash but a Signature was generally required for purchases above certain dollar limits. Also, they were not aware from any internal communications that such an action was taking place. Truth we know that sometimes the information is held away from the public however, all of this supposed change was from back to May of 2016. It would seem that by now someone would have found more solid current information. Possibly, Discover was looking at the matter and set it back for some reason and will come back to it in the near future.


I suspect there was an internal pilot that didn't go well so they scrapped the whole idea. As someone with "true" chip and PIN cards, I've had acceptance issues more than once due to customer-inaccessible terminals--to the point where I no longer use those cards domestically much if at all. That doesn't include all the times where they just manually entered the card number or forced a chip failure so that they could swipe instead, either.

 

The above is probably also why USAA abandoned PIN preference, but that's speculation on my part.


Hey tmiw appreciate the insight! It is good to hear how the Chip & Pin Cards work or don't in the US Chip & Signature environment. I had a USAA World MasterCard that was Chip & Pin back to 2010 but experienced no problems as I never ran across a terminal that could deal with it in the US, the terminals ignored the Pin feature. Wondered why USAA dropped the Chip & Pin preference. Thanks! Smiley Happy


In fairness, I might be encountering the worst case scenario for that sort of thing. If you keep your shopping to the same sorts of places that ask for PIN on debit cards you likely won't have problems. It's the restaurants and really small businesses that are likely to cause the real issues (guess where I spend my money the most often?)

 

Ironically the big places like Target and 7-Eleven apparently don't ask for the PIN on such cards if the purchase is under $25-50 despite claiming that they want chip and PIN for better security.

Message 50 of 52