Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Contributor

Re: Discover switching from Chip/Signature to Chip/PIN

Glen_M wrote:

I have a "Check ID" statement on mine, and in ten years and who knows how many thousand transactions, there is only one teller at one store who has ever asked to see my ID.  I thanked her for doing so.

Signatures are a farce, so even a flawed PIN system can hardly be a downgrade.

VISA regulations prohibit a merchant from asking for an ID to validate a CC. You could actually report the clerk who IDed you and the company she works for would get scolded.

EX FICO (AMEX): 716 (12/28/16) | TU FICO (Discover): 746 (12/7/16) | EQ FICO (Citi): 766 (11/22/16)
Valued Contributor

14Fiesta wrote:

Glen_M wrote:

I have a "Check ID" statement on mine, and in ten years and who knows how many thousand transactions, there is only one teller at one store who has ever asked to see my ID.  I thanked her for doing so.

VISA regulations prohibit a merchant from asking for an ID to validate a CC. You could actually report the clerk who IDed you and the company she works for would get scolded.

Interesting! I always get asked to show ID at the Apple Store even if it's a VISA card.

Gardening until September 2018
Next app: Mortgage in September 2018
Established Contributor

14Fiesta wrote:

Glen_M wrote:

Well THAT seems kind've silly...  What's the thinking about them not wanting merchants to ask for ID?

My local grocery store had a huge increase in credit card fraud a couple years ago, and they went to asking EVERYBODY for their ID to verify.  I had no problem with it...

EX08 726 EQ08 707 TU08 736
Valued Contributor

Discovers ditching Chip and Sig... Huzzah

Always thought it wasnt the smartest idea of the US banks and CUs to go with Chip and Sig when most everyone else uses Chip and Pin which is quite a bit more secure...

Glad Discover decided to do this..

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/discover-transition-chip-pin-cards/

Super Contributor

Re: Discovers ditching Chip and Sig... Huzzah

Note, the Doctor of Credit Post you cited is May 10, 2016. To the best of my knowledge, Discover has not changed their cards to Chip & Pin. My new card was Chip & Signature.
Starting Score: 848
Current Score: 829
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor

Grrrh. Thought i saw a newer article..

Anyways this thread is more current 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Discover-switching-from-Chip-Signature-to-Chip-PI...

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

joltdude wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Discover-switching-from-Chip-Signature-to-Chip-PI...

Unless some posters have information from Discover, my replacement card came as Chip & Signature. Other than the posts on the MyFico site, I was not aware that Discover was changing to Chip & Pin. In a follow up on this post, I contacted Discover Card (by telephone on Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 11:24 CDT) and was informed very clearly by the Discover Card Ohio Center that a Pin was required to access cash but a Signature was generally required for purchases above certain dollar limits. Also, they were not aware from any internal communications that such an action was taking place. Truth we know that sometimes the information is held away from the public however, all of this supposed change was from back to May of 2016. It would seem that by now someone would have found more solid current information. Possibly, Discover was looking at the matter and set it back for some reason and will come back to it in the near future.

Established Contributor

Dinosaur wrote:

joltdude wrote:

Unless some posters have information from Discover, my replacement card came as Chip & Signature. Other than the posts on the MyFico site, I was not aware that Discover was changing to Chip & Pin. In a follow up on this post, I contacted Discover Card (by telephone on Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 11:24 CDT) and was informed very clearly by the Discover Card Ohio Center that a Pin was required to access cash but a Signature was generally required for purchases above certain dollar limits. Also, they were not aware from any internal communications that such an action was taking place. Truth we know that sometimes the information is held away from the public however, all of this supposed change was from back to May of 2016. It would seem that by now someone would have found more solid current information. Possibly, Discover was looking at the matter and set it back for some reason and will come back to it in the near future.

I suspect there was an internal pilot that didn't go well so they scrapped the whole idea. As someone with "true" chip and PIN cards, I've had acceptance issues more than once due to customer-inaccessible terminals--to the point where I no longer use those cards domestically much if at all. That doesn't include all the times where they just manually entered the card number or forced a chip failure so that they could swipe instead, either.

The above is probably also why USAA abandoned PIN preference, but that's speculation on my part.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

tmiw wrote:

Dinosaur wrote:

joltdude wrote:

I suspect there was an internal pilot that didn't go well so they scrapped the whole idea. As someone with "true" chip and PIN cards, I've had acceptance issues more than once due to customer-inaccessible terminals--to the point where I no longer use those cards domestically much if at all. That doesn't include all the times where they just manually entered the card number or forced a chip failure so that they could swipe instead, either.

The above is probably also why USAA abandoned PIN preference, but that's speculation on my part.

Hey tmiw appreciate the insight! It is good to hear how the Chip & Pin Cards work or don't in the US Chip & Signature environment. I had a USAA World MasterCard that was Chip & Pin back to 2010 but experienced no problems as I never ran across a terminal that could deal with it in the US, the terminals ignored the Pin feature. Wondered why USAA dropped the Chip & Pin preference. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Established Contributor

Dinosaur wrote:

tmiw wrote:

Dinosaur wrote:

joltdude wrote:

Hey tmiw appreciate the insight! It is good to hear how the Chip & Pin Cards work or don't in the US Chip & Signature environment. I had a USAA World MasterCard that was Chip & Pin back to 2010 but experienced no problems as I never ran across a terminal that could deal with it in the US, the terminals ignored the Pin feature. Wondered why USAA dropped the Chip & Pin preference. Thanks! Smiley Happy

In fairness, I might be encountering the worst case scenario for that sort of thing. If you keep your shopping to the same sorts of places that ask for PIN on debit cards you likely won't have problems. It's the restaurants and really small businesses that are likely to cause the real issues (guess where I spend my money the most often?)

Ironically the big places like Target and 7-Eleven apparently don't ask for the PIN on such cards if the purchase is under $25-50 despite claiming that they want chip and PIN for better security.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.