Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

tag
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/credit-reporting-firm-equifax-says-cybersecurity-incident-could-pote...

"...Equifax said it discovered the breach on July 29. Leaked data includes names, birth dates, social security numbers, addresses and potentially drivers licenses. 209,000 U.S. credit card numbers were also obtained, in addition to "certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers."..."

(Edited to shorten the headline)

Moderator edit - Posting the link here to check whether you are potentially affected by the breach:

https://trustedidpremier.com/eligibility/eligibility.html

Message 1 of 519
518 REPLIES 518
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/credit-reporting-firm-equifax-says-cybersecurity-incident-could-pote...

"...Equifax said it discovered the breach on July 29. Leaked data includes names, birth dates, social security numbers, addresses and potentially drivers licenses. 209,000 U.S. credit card numbers were also obtained, in addition to "certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers."..."

(Edited to shorten the headline)

Holy freaking crap. That is almost ONE HALF of the US population. This means you're more likely to be affected than not, since EQ probably has partial information on almost everyone over 18 years old. 

Cue massive class action suit.

Cue Equifax trying to offer everyone EQ credit monitoring.

Cue another lawsuit demading credit monitoring from another agency. 

Seriously, who can protect you from the people who are supposed protect your identitiy and reputation? People should not stay silent about this. 

Message 2 of 519
Hex
Valued Contributor

The Associated Press
BREAKING: Credit monitoring company Equifax says breach exposed social security numbers and other data from 143 million Americans.
Message 3 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

I came here to post about this... so here's another article https://a.msn.com/r/2/AArtjNI?m=en-us

This article says that "[Eq] said there was no evidence of a breach into its core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases." Not sure which 143m were stolen then...

Message 4 of 519
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

This is pretty awful.  I'm exposed and i imagine that most on this board are too.  As someone who works in IT and has to deal with security measures, my questions are:

1.  What was the security breach? (I'm sure they will never discuss details, but I want to know).

2.  How was it discovered?

3.  Why did it take 3+ months to discover?

4.  Did a new patch to close the vulnerability have to be written or did one already exist?  If one existed before, how long was it available from the vendor?

4.  Was the data encrypted?  If not, why not?

5.  Was encrypted or unencrypted data passed to hackers?

Data of this type in this day and age needs to be encrpyted with the highest quality encryption available through the entire chain....databases, middleware, reporting systems, webservers, everything.  Databases need to be firewalled behind the middleware and the middleware(s) needs to be firewalled from the webserver (which is exposed to the Internet).  Then forensic software needs to be installed on all levels to check for strange or unauthorized movement of data from place to place and notify 24/7 staff.  Only transactional data can be accessed....no large data dumps without shutting down the link and notifying security. 

No system is completely foolproof but Equifax is supposed to have the strongest security regime out there....equivalent to major banks and government agencies.  Anything less is a major breach of trust and a class action lawsuit waiting to happen (I'm sure it's already happening).  As for Equifax executives, this is the kind of thing that gets people fired (just look at what happened at Target).  The initial response seems to be appropriate but there are a lot of unanswered questions.

Message 5 of 519
Hex
Valued Contributor

Notice that they waited a month before telling anyone. Also notice the news dump during a category 5 hurricane. They have the worst customer service of the CRB's. I hope they go bankrupt and it gets listed on their credit report!!! I hope they go out of business.
Message 6 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax Security Breach

I knew something was going on.  I kept getting notifications that my report was being locked and unlocked, change of addresses notifications when there was no change listed, and this week a lift of a security freeze I ever had.  i hope this doesn't cause big problems!

Message 7 of 519
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Equifax Data Breach

The New York Times and The Washington Post are reporting an Equifax data breach affecting 143 million people's personal data.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 519
Tigremalo2001
New Contributor

Great post...Equifax better get a shared secured loan and a secured open sky credit card. 

Starting FICO scores 5/2017--- 580 EQ/ 531 TU/535 EXperian

As of 12/29/17 Curent FICO ----691 EQ/ 666 TU/ 686 Experian
Message 9 of 519
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

The month or so lag was probably reasonable.  It takes time to do a proper forensic accounting of the situation (and in this case, they hired an outside company).  The FBI likely wanted to look at it.  The servers in question had to be scrubbed of any malware (probably rebuilt from scratch).  Software had to be patched to deal with the original vulnerability and any others that had been discovered since the last patching.  All of this likely had entire teams working on the issue round the clock for weeks to solve.  I imagine their security and IT teams haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately.  And they had to make sure no one from the media was tipped off before they were ready to come forward with the problem and what the action plan was, especially to CNN which is also based in Atlanta.

Still, I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing.  And I just got a call from my wife about it.  She has Lifelock since she had a major identity theft situation two years ago but I may have to follow her down that path.

Message 10 of 519
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.