Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

didn't think eq could get any worse, yet they have outdone themselves again.. Wonder what kinda monitoring and what not they are going to have to offer among law suts, etc.

Message 21 of 519
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

The reality is that any large enough company, with data perceived to be valiuable, is going to get targetted and, almost certainly, sooner or later will be successfully hacked.   It's hard to keep lots of machines up to date all the time, and ensure that all of your staff are carrying out proper procedures all the time.   To me, like suffering fraud on a credit card, it's going to be part of life.   What matters is how easy it is to pick up the pieces later.

Message 22 of 519
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I came here to post about this... so here's another article https://a.msn.com/r/2/AArtjNI?m=en-us

This article says that "[Eq] said there was no evidence of a breach into its core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases." Not sure which 143m were stolen then...

That just means credit reports themselves weren't accessed. Names, SSN's, DOB's, and everything that ties you to your report was. 

Message 23 of 519
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

It gets better. 3 executives sold 1.8 million in stock after the breach was discovered:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-07/three-equifax-executives-sold-stock-before-reveal...

Insider trading, anyone? Smiley Mad

Message 24 of 519
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Got bit by this...

Though they have an odd check/entrollment procedure.. you have to wait until a set date to enroll...

-J

Message 25 of 519
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

It gets better. 3 executives sold 1.8 million in stock after the breach was discovered:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-07/three-equifax-executives-sold-stock-before-reveal...

That timing doesn't seem at all suspicious.

Message 26 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

... and adding gas to the fire, the link they've given out for consumers to check if their info was potentially impacted doesn't do that:

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/

Clicking the 'Check Potential Impact' button serves a form that asks for last name and last 6 digits of your social security number. When I enter this info and click continue, all I get is a message that says:

- - - - - - 

Thank You

Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is:

09/13/2017

Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return tofaq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process.

- - - - - - 

... which doesn't address whether my info has been impacted. The link in the message just serves a general info page. Not cool. 

Message 27 of 519
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

oh thats just perfect....just perfect!.

I loathe EQ... I can't even begin to comprehend the amount of destruction that this breach will impact on everyone.

They have also stolen so much money from me its pathetic. and when I say stolen....thats exactly what I mean. Where I live, I have to pay $5 to freeze and unfreeze EQ file. Each time I got the confirmation page "your freeze was successful!" I printed them out for my records.

yet the following day I got HP's from certain lenders I apped with for CLI...(navy). When I should have been frozen.

So I would log on to EQ, and go to "freeze", and the only option for me was to "Place a freeze"....So, basically they were taking my money, but not putting the freeze on. Thats happened so many times.

I hope EQ goes down in flames, and I propose a class action law suit!

Message 28 of 519
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

The reality is that any large enough company, with data perceived to be valiuable, is going to get targetted and, almost certainly, sooner or later will be successfully hacked.   It's hard to keep lots of machines up to date all the time, and ensure that all of your staff are carrying out proper procedures all the time.   To me, like suffering fraud on a credit card, it's going to be part of life.   What matters is how easy it is to pick up the pieces later.

There is no excuse for non-encypted data though.. I really hope they just got the encrypted stuff although it appears equifax probably still runs on an AS400 or whatever so I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't encrypted.  You can tell they are running on an old not relational DB by many things such as split files, files to big, among many other things . Wouldn't personally mind if this put them out of business as most would agree they are the worse of the big CRA's in every aspect of the business.. Lawsuits are bound to follow.  Most likely they will survive, but this is worse than any target or home depot or whatever data breach for 100 fold.  As most likely it impacted anyone with a credit file as the other 2/3rds or whatever of Americans it didn't touch probably are to young to have credit.  I work in IT as well and yes hacking is a daily thing as we have TONS of attempts at our systems per day for any company really.  Whether they were at fault of not will certainly be to follow as I am sure our wonderful gov't will get involved and have hearing on this one lol.

Message 29 of 519
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@DeeBee78 wrote:

Somehow I think the Securities and Exchange Commission will be looking into this and they will be prosecuted as that is inside information if it is true.

Message 30 of 519
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.