Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Their stock took another close to 15% loss today.. I am personally loving it, couldn't happen to nicer more incompetent people.  Stock price pre-breach 142ish now 99$.  Somewhat tempted to buy in the next few days although would be a gamble as I think worse is to come for them when more stuff hits the fans.  Sure the stock holders are just thrilled about this as they are losing their you know what.  

@Anonymous has fallen 31% now, $5B in market cap. Day low $89 already.  I will be going in at $85 and out @ $100

Message 361 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never got an email yet after being enrolled how about anyone else?

Message 362 of 519
scarfa21
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I never got an email yet after being enrolled how about anyone else?

got mine today, took a few days.

Message 363 of 519
New Visitor

I was told I had to wait until tomorrow (9/15/17) to enroll.

Message 364 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

Might not be the right thread, but how secure is this site? For several years I've been using the $20 per month product and I've been very happy with it. Within the last week, because of the Equifax hack, I decided to try the Transaction Monitoring and entered several CCs. It works very nicely, notifying me when ever a transaction takes place on a particular card. But then I got to thinking that how secure is this site? Obviously, no online site is 100% secure and as nice as the trans monitoring is, is it really a good idea to have that info available on the site? 

Maybe I'll just get some mattresses and use those to store my money! Smiley Very Happy

Message 365 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Might not be the right thread, but how secure is this site? For several years I've been using the $20 per month product and I've been very happy with it. Within the last week, because of the Equifax hack, I decided to try the Transaction Monitoring and entered several CCs. It works very nicely, notifying me when ever a transaction takes place on a particular card. But then I got to thinking that how secure is this site? Obviously, no online site is 100% secure and as nice as the trans monitoring is, is it really a good idea to have that info available on the site? 

Maybe I'll just get some mattresses and use those to store my money! Smiley Very Happy

I'm sure they will let you know in 4 months wether or not this site is secure. Smiley LOL

Message 366 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure they will let you know in 4 months wether or not this site is secure. Smiley LOL

Haha, yes indeed!

Message 367 of 519
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Their stock took another close to 15% loss today.. I am personally loving it, couldn't happen to nicer more incompetent people.  Stock price pre-breach 142ish now 99$.  Somewhat tempted to buy in the next few days although would be a gamble as I think worse is to come for them when more stuff hits the fans.  Sure the stock holders are just thrilled about this as they are losing their you know what.  

@Anonymous has fallen 31% now, $5B in market cap. Day low $89 already.  I will be going in at $85 and out @ $100

I would hold out as FTC officially is investigating them now along with comments EQ is like the enron of the CRA's... They are going to take alot more of a beating and hearing to come.. the CEO for sure will be forced out, if not they are crazy if they survive this at all.  I still believe their is a good chance they might have to file for BK if things keep getting worse which appears to be the case before they if ever will get better.  They didn't apply a simple patch that was known long ago which led partially to this problem.  Just pure greed and incompetence.  They are going to be sued on class action suits among state levels and every other levels which will cause them to burn more cash on lawyers among whatever the payouts are.  They very well can be done with.  Although certain places are saying buy very strong signals.. I just can't do it as it is a huge gamble as we are just starting to learn the details and likely to be bigger than 143 million impacted.

Message 368 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose I'm a pessimist. Even if Equifax goes down, there are still two major CRAs collecting data and a handful of smaller ones. And I believe there's too much status quo bias. From my lay person's understanding, changing the way security works to enforce it the way it should be would be truly costly and more difficult to implement (as in, it would cause everyday hassle to both employees and consumers, think like MFA multi-factor authentication is a PITA I won't spell that one Smiley Very Happy). It's always an analysis of how much cost/hassle you want to put up with for the benefit e.g. how valuable is the data we are talking about. And we are talking about our financial and identity data so yes, Sign Me Up for some hassle and some cost. As you see, people are willing to pay out of pocket to freeze their reports when they've been exposed. I think that demonstrates the cost/benefit thing. Maybe we need to be more willing to endure some cost/hassle before it gets to having our identities exposed. Or maybe it's that the companies in question need to stop assuming we won't take on that cost or hassle. Because obviously we care. And we'll get mad when someone steps in it.

But do I think it will change practices long-run at other CRAs, or other companies more broadly? No... not really.

Message 369 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

The sold alk their shares before they released the news
Message 370 of 519
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.