Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Reply
Valued Member
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎07-02-2017

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

Here we go again.  It wasn't but a few years ago I got the dreaded letter from the U.S. government warning me my security clearance info had been compromised at the Office of Personnel and that they would pay for ONE YEAR of credit protection.  I ignored it at the time because I couldn't finance a friggin' pencil with my credit scores at the time (right after a nasty divorce).  This time I've got much better credit at risk but I, like many, got the "9/11" message.  I'm still trying to figure out **bleep** to do this time around.  SMDH...you'd think these entities would learn better and get better and better with time but I guess not.  Shrug.

Member
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎02-21-2017

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

I just read somewhere that by signing up to use Equifax's credit monitoring service - TrustedId Premier, you agree not to participate in any class action lawsuit against Equifax. That's according to TrustedId Premiers terms of service. Anyone else seen any info regarding that?
New Contributor
Posts: 59
Registered: ‎04-17-2017

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

[ Edited ]

Free monitoring for 365 days is an insult to our intelligence. The hacked data is out there forever ... identities can be stolen 2, 3, 5, 10 years from now. It's not like we can just reset our social security number and birthdate. They need to give free lifetime monitoring to anyone impacted. 

- TU 731 EQ 730 EX 734 / 10 month credit history / gardening until 03 / 01 / 18
- AAOA = 7 months
- Utilization = 2%
- 3 inquiries (EX) 4 inquiries (TU) 5 inquiries (EQ)
- 9 accounts: OpenSky secured 500, Primor secured 400, Capone secured 500, J Crew 1400, William Sonoma Visa 2k, QS1 600, Target 300, Pottery Barn 750, Amex Everyday 3k

Updated 09 / 01 / 2017
Established Member
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎06-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

From what I've been reading the 1.8 million shares sold by a exec, the SEC checked out and it was ligitamite. But who knows these days, everyone has a hand in the pocket. This is the World we live in. Now it's getting very serious, in every aspect. We need to step it up.

Very Concerned 

Mako50
Valued Member
Posts: 49
Registered: ‎10-13-2016
0 Kudos

Re: Equifax Security Breach

Same here. When I applied for a Children's Place card I was told I had a freeze on my account which I never asked for and one of my installment accounts just disappeared off my equifax back in June. One concern I have is if this mess will affect us getting a loan for a home in February. I know the mortgage company is going to look at all three of our reports. 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,079
Registered: ‎06-01-2008

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers


Chillien07 wrote:
I just read somewhere that by signing up to use Equifax's credit monitoring service - TrustedId Premier, you agree not to participate in any class action lawsuit against Equifax. That's according to TrustedId Premiers terms of service. Anyone else seen any info regarding that?

That does not surprise me at all.  The CEO stated in the audio messages that he wants Equifax to be remembered for how they have handled this.  So far, I am NOT impressed.  Over a month to inform consumers, informing us just when one of the biggest storms ever is approaching the US, three executives selling stock a couple of days after the breach was discovered (one being hte CFO), only making the monitoring service for one year when we could be facing issues from this years from now, and having to agree to no class action lawsuit for a service that they are likely paying very little for (per consumer).  

 

Not impressed, Equifax...

 

 

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
Sep 2017: EX8: 736; EQ8: 732; TU8: 743; EQ04: 730 FICO 9 Scores about 50 points higher
In My Wallet: Discover $60.2K; Cap1 Venture $30.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $12.5K; Amex Delta Gold $15K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Citi TY Pref $13K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $205.5K
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $10 a month to report, on one account. .
Regular Contributor
Posts: 422
Registered: ‎04-26-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Equifax Security Breach

Serious question, my EQ has been locked (via TU) since April except for brief moments when I unlocked it for Discover and PenFed apps in May and July, do you guys think I may have been lucky enough to escape this carnage?
Established Contributor
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎01-16-2017

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers


EW800 wrote:

Chillien07 wrote:
I just read somewhere that by signing up to use Equifax's credit monitoring service - TrustedId Premier, you agree not to participate in any class action lawsuit against Equifax. That's according to TrustedId Premiers terms of service. Anyone else seen any info regarding that?

That does not surprise me at all.  The CEO stated in the audio messages that he wants Equifax to be remembered for how they have handled this.  So far, I am NOT impressed.  Over a month to inform consumers, informing us just when one of the biggest storms ever is approaching the US, three executives selling stock a couple of days after the breach was discovered (one being hte CFO), only making the monitoring service for one year when we could be facing issues from this years from now, and having to agree to no class action lawsuit for a service that they are likely paying very little for (per consumer).  

 

Not impressed, Equifax...

 

 


You have to agree to no class action lawsuit to use their free service?  Credit Karma monitors Equifax for free.  I hope no one falls for their free service.

January 15 2017 Experian 527 Transunion 528 Equifax 529
August 1 2017 Experian 702, Transunion 711, Equifax 715

BOA Cash Rewards, AMEX BCE, AMEX PRG, AMEX Ameriprise Platinum, AMEX SPG, CITI AADvantage Platinum, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Southwest Plus, Barclay Arrival +, Barclay AAdvantage Red Aviator, USAA Prefered Cash Rewards , Cap One Quicksilver, Lendup L card, JCrew, Pottery Barn, Express, NFCU Go Rewards.. 130k total credit lines.
Established Contributor
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎01-16-2017

Re: Equifax Security Breach


oldman87 wrote:
Serious question, my EQ has been locked (via TU) since April except for brief moments when I unlocked it for Discover and PenFed apps in May and July, do you guys think I may have been lucky enough to escape this carnage?

Nope.

January 15 2017 Experian 527 Transunion 528 Equifax 529
August 1 2017 Experian 702, Transunion 711, Equifax 715

BOA Cash Rewards, AMEX BCE, AMEX PRG, AMEX Ameriprise Platinum, AMEX SPG, CITI AADvantage Platinum, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Southwest Plus, Barclay Arrival +, Barclay AAdvantage Red Aviator, USAA Prefered Cash Rewards , Cap One Quicksilver, Lendup L card, JCrew, Pottery Barn, Express, NFCU Go Rewards.. 130k total credit lines.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎06-13-2016
0 Kudos

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers


frogman1 wrote:

EW800 wrote:

Chillien07 wrote:
I just read somewhere that by signing up to use Equifax's credit monitoring service - TrustedId Premier, you agree not to participate in any class action lawsuit against Equifax. That's according to TrustedId Premiers terms of service. Anyone else seen any info regarding that?

That does not surprise me at all.  The CEO stated in the audio messages that he wants Equifax to be remembered for how they have handled this.  So far, I am NOT impressed.  Over a month to inform consumers, informing us just when one of the biggest storms ever is approaching the US, three executives selling stock a couple of days after the breach was discovered (one being hte CFO), only making the monitoring service for one year when we could be facing issues from this years from now, and having to agree to no class action lawsuit for a service that they are likely paying very little for (per consumer).  

 

Not impressed, Equifax...

 

 


You have to agree to no class action lawsuit to use their free service?  Credit Karma monitors Equifax for free.  I hope no one falls for their free service.


Nope, I have already decided that DH and I don't need this ridiculous service. I have FICO Ultimate and he has CCT, and we are both going to freeze our reports. I didn't agree to any terms of service yet, so I think I'm good.

Current Scores------ EQ 679; TU 653; EX 681 FICO 08---------------- Gardening until "Winter is Over"
Beginning Scores-- EQ 632; TU 576; EX 619 FICO 08 (06/13/16) - BK7 discharged 11/2015

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.