Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO 08 will allow authorized users on credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO 08 will allow authorized users on credit cards

Fair Isaac acknowledged yesterday that FICO 08 will still allow authorized users on credit card accounts:

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO 08 will allow authorized users on credit cards

Um ... how is FI "gaming their system" to prevent abuse? What will the criteria be in defining "abuse" and what hoops will people have to jump through in order not to BE considered "abusive?"

Or am I the only one who doesn't get it????
Message 2 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

"Fortunately, we were able to come up with technology that makes it much harder to game the system."

Possible answers - a sudden increase in number of AU tradelines brings up a flag, time since tradelines were added could be considered, time between adding tradelines.  Both should be easily incorporated, as could a "delay" before a new AU tradeline could be incorporated into the score.

I am sure there are other ways.  But piggybacking should be fairly obvious - no one spends 5 years getting ready to piggyback!

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

they have no way of telling  an AU is legit or not

Message 4 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

rbbyrbsn wrote:
they have no way of telling  an AU is legit or not

No, but they have ways of incorporating illegit AUs into scoring!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 22
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not really sure how I feel about this decision.
Message 6 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd rather they err in favor of allowing a few slimeballs sneak in than hurt the credit of a large demographic group that was going to be injured by this. Good for FICO.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 22
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I think it is fraud, I don't see how it can be any different.  I think FI was talked out of it by the industry.  The creditors still think they can manage this 'problem' within acceptable default rates on their accounts.  Plus, if you significantly change the system which decreases FICO scores of some legitimate folks, how does the industry treat them?  Increase interest rates or refuse them?  That takes legitimate customers out of the system.  They figured it just wasn't worth the problem.  I wonder how widespread piggybacking really is?
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if the information is stored by EX, EQ, TU as to who the primary cardholder is that you're an AU on.  A simple (though far from foolproof, and would still cause some problems) way of determining legitimacy would be to compare last names on the primary & AU.  A match would indicate that the primary/AU were probably either spouses or close family members.

-MsMS
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, but you might see some of that same activity in legitimate circumstances, i.e. marriage.  After we married, I added MrMS onto almost every card since he had virtually no credit history, and I've had a CC since 1999.  So his report could have looked like he was piggy-backing, as a handful of established cards suddenly add him as AU.  Okay, maybe he was piggy-backing- but spouses should be different.

-MsMS
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.