Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Profiles the Strategic Defaulter

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

FICO Profiles the Strategic Defaulter

Through the use of custom analytic models, FICO Labs researchers say they have demonstrated the ability

identify borrowers who are over 100 times more likely to default strategically than others.

http://www.dsnews.com/articles/print-view/fico-profiles-strategic-defaulter-2011-04-22

9 REPLIES 9
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: FICO Profiles the Strategic Defaulter

@veracious wrote:

Through the use of custom analytic models, FICO Labs researchers say they have demonstrated the ability

identify borrowers who are over 100 times more likely to default strategically than others.

http://www.dsnews.com/articles/print-view/fico-profiles-strategic-defaulter-2011-04-22

Hmm, interesting passage from that article:

...more savvy managers of their credit than the general population, with higher FICO scores, lower revolving balances, fewer instances of exceeding limits on their credit cards, and lower retail credit card usage...

Sounds like me and my wife except that my wife and I are not underwater, and probably would not default on our mortgage even if we were.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 10
veracious
Established Contributor

I'm sure you read in the article that  strategic defaulters believe it to be in their best financial interest to simply walk away,

because they believe the consequences will be  minimal.

I don't understand this concept.  WTH????

athensguy
Valued Contributor

@veracious wrote:

I'm sure you read in the article that  strategic defaulters believe it to be in their best financial interest to simply walk away,

It's a contract with provisions for non-payment. Sometimes the non-payment provisions are better than continuing to pay. It's not hard to understand.
Message 4 of 10
veracious
Established Contributor

@athensguy wrote:

@veracious wrote:

It's a contract with provisions for non-payment. Sometimes the non-payment provisions are better than continuing to pay. It's not hard to understand.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with how non-payment provisions can be better than continuing to pay Please explain.

Thanks

athensguy
Valued Contributor

@veracious wrote:

@athensguy wrote:

@veracious wrote:

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with how non-payment provisions can be better than continuing to pay Please explain.

Thanks

Buying a house with a mortgage involves a contract. The mortgagee takes on a risk with the hope of some return by lending money to the borrower with a property as collateral. If the borrower defaults, the collateral is forfeited to the mortgagee. In non-recourse states, the collateral is all that a mortgagee may claim. In some states, the mortgagee may sue the borrower for a deficiency. A bankruptcy will prevent the mortgagee from filing a lawsuit in those states.

There are many situations where a borrower will be better off defaulting:

1) Not enough cash flow to make payments (doesn't have a choice in this case)

2) Reduced cash flow that causes the payments to be a hardship

3) The value of the collateral is significantly lower than the remaining mortgage and there is little chance of mortgagee recourse, or the borrower intends to file bankruptcy

If you are considering drawing down retirement accounts early to pay the mortgage, it's probably better to default.  If your two earner home went to a one earner home and you're barely floating by or are increasing other debt to pay the mortgage, it's probably better to default.  There is nothing wrong with exercising your rights under contract and bankruptcy law.

Message 6 of 10
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks for the explaination, athensguy.

I understand all the points you made.  I guess I was under the impression that those who choose this route

were going to walk away scott -free.

Anyone in this position will suffer  severe damage to their financial position even if only for 7-10 years due to the

credit laws currently in force.  However, who's to say a new scoring model wouldn't punish them more  in the future.

After all FICO Labs is now considering how to predict their behavior. I would venture to guess, in the future,

FICO will compile the data and their customers will want this data to be considered in any scoring model of the future.

I feel sorry for anyone that is in this position.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What's hilarious is that mortgage companies who were ignoring requests for re-fis and mods from strategic defaulters are now going to pay FICO for this analysis and scurry around to reach out to strategic defaulters who haven't yet already defaulted, even though most of them already have by now.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@veracious wrote:

Thanks for the explaination, athensguy.

I understand all the points you made.  I guess I was under the impression that those who choose this route

were going to walk away scott -free.

Anyone in this position will suffer  severe damage to their financial position even if only for 7-10 years due to the

credit laws currently in force.  However, who's to say a new scoring model wouldn't punish them more  in the future.

After all FICO Labs is now considering how to predict their behavior. I would venture to guess, in the future,

FICO will compile the data and their customers will want this data to be considered in any scoring model of the future.

I feel sorry for anyone that is in this position.

FICO can change the model to punish walk-aways harder than a Real Estate default that isn't followed up with a Bankruptcy, but thanks to the ban on Universal Default, creditors not affected by the default can't really do all that much except deny requests for credit limit increases, or in AMEX's case, trigger a bunch of F/Rs.

If the labor market ever comes back, employers trying to fill positions won't stop caring if a hire strategically defaulted in their past.  The mortgage is backstopped by an asset either way (the house) so the post-sale residual balance may wind up as a collection account, which a strategic defaulter won't be paying.

I doubt there is anything constructive that FICO can change in its scoring to convince people who are massively underwater to not default on the mortgage.   I think mainly it stops here---FICO's data can convince the megabanks who is genuinely going to strategically default on them, and the banks can prevent it by offering modification deals to convince those that have an ability to pay to not walk away.

Remember the people who are strategically defaulting all have a means to pay.  They have money.   When they pack their bags and move out, the bank can play accounting tricks for a while, but at some point they will be forced to recognize the real value of the asset.

As long as a borrower is attached to that house, the bank does not need to write down the house, so the bottom line is safe.    When you walk away from the house which is now a fraction of what it was once worth, that's an immediate hit on the bottom line... that asset has to be written down.   They can put writing it down until the thing actually sells, but it's going to be written down in any case.

That's also why the banks have been holding on to a lot of inventory and have been selling it in chunks---if they put too much up too quickly, the overall market tanks and then they will have to write even more off.

That kills their stock value.  That's why Citibank and BOA's stock is so lousy.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Er, sorry, I mean to say if the labor market comes back... employers won't care anymore if someone strategically defaulted.    Especially after a lot of years have passed.

If you strategically default even now, if your employer already knows about it and they're fine with it... then your income (your job) isn't at risk.

Hell... even the Mortgage Bankers Association strategically defaulted on their own building.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.