Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score 9 Introduces Refined Analysis of Medical Collections

tag
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

FICO Score 9 Introduces Refined Analysis of Medical Collections

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fico-score-9-introduces-refined-analysis-of-medical-collections-201...

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: FICO Score 9 Introduces Refined Analysis of Medical Collections

Very interesting ~ especially this " the median FICO Score for consumers whose only major derogatory references are unpaid medical debts is expected to increase by 25 points"

Unfortunately it may be a while before lenders adopt FICO 9, so we'll have to wait and see....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@pizzadude wrote:

Very interesting ~ especially this " the median FICO Score for consumers whose only major derogatory references are unpaid medical debts is expected to increase by 25 points"

Unfortunately it may be a while before lenders adopt FICO 9, so we'll have to wait and see....

I actually think we'll see the major credit card lenders being evaluating it near immediately.

My own experience: no lender has ever cared about a paid collection on my reports, some have cared when my collection was open.  We also seem to anecdotally know that medical collections don't carry the same weight as other collection types for lenders.

Fact is, these changes are what the banks have been doing for the past several years, and if they can integrate that more comprehensively into their underwriting standards, I suspect they'll be all over it.  Like anything they'll need to run it against their own data and likely concurrently for a while, but wouldn't surprise me at all to find the major lenders all moving to it... and it's more compelling for the smaller lenders too I suspect than the FICO '04 to FICO 8 transition was.

Still going to be stuck on the mortgage side, unfortunately for the same tired old reasons.

        
Message 3 of 13
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

Wade, THANKS for posting this article!

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 4 of 13
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Transmogrifying_Bee wrote:

Wade, THANKS for posting this article!

Your welcomeSmiley Happy it will sure help a lot of people when it rolls out and lenders start useing it

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 13
Trapper123

Do you think settled for less than full amount taglines would be considered "paid collections" so that they would disappear?

Starting Score: 636
Current Score: 636
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 13
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Trapper123 wrote:

Do you think settled for less than full amount taglines would be considered "paid collections" so that they would disappear?

Settled accounts are bypassed in FICO 09 as well.

However, paid collections are still shown on your credit reports. They just won't affect FICO 09 scores.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 7 of 13
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

I actually think we'll see the major credit card lenders being evaluating it near immediately.

My own experience: no lender has ever cared about a paid collection on my reports, some have cared when my collection was open.  We also seem to anecdotally know that medical collections don't carry the same weight as other collection types for lenders.

Fact is, these changes are what the banks have been doing for the past several years, and if they can integrate that more comprehensively into their underwriting standards, I suspect they'll be all over it.  Like anything they'll need to run it against their own data and likely concurrently for a while, but wouldn't surprise me at all to find the major lenders all moving to it... and it's more compelling for the smaller lenders too I suspect than the FICO '04 to FICO 8 transition was.

Still going to be stuck on the mortgage side, unfortunately for the same tired old reasons.

I think this is right, especially after the CFPB's report on medical collections unfairly impacting current scores. This also opens up many more potential customers to lenders without increased risk.  There might even be enough pressure to upgrade for the GSEs that still mandate FICO 04 on most mortgage underwriting. That will probably take longer given how entrenched FICO 04 is and they would have to validate new models to long term mortgage loans.  That's no easy or short task.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 8 of 13
printosaur
New Contributor

One wrinkle on FICO 9 -- scores for people whose debts in collection are mostly non-medical will go down.

Fair isaac confirmed this, didn't say what the average decrease would be. Here is the news article:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/fico-new-credit-score-formula-medical-1508.php

This makes sense in light of the CFPB analysis, which said that non-medical debts in collection were being under-penalized by FICO score, based on repayment history. This part of the report got fewer headlines than the over-penalization of medical debts, but it's in there, page 11:

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201405_cfpb_report_data-point_medical-debt-credit-scores.pdf

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this article. I've been working hard to get my credit score up so I can get approved for a home loan. However, after having surgery in late April, the hospital sent me to collections without so much as a phone call even though I had been paying $50 - $75 every month...and they're still sending me bills. I'm hoping this FICO 9 is adopted by lenders. My heart sank because I've brought my score up from 509 (March) to 644 and I feel like it's just going to go right back down. Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.