Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTC Cracks Down on Phantom Junk Debt Collector

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FTC Cracks Down on Phantom Junk Debt Collector

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/06/ftc-charges-debt-collection-scheme-took-consu...

The Federal Trade Commission has charged a North Carolina debt collection operation and its owner with taking money from consumers for fake debts they did not owe. The action is part of the FTC’s crackdown on “phantom” debt collection.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FTC Cracks Down on Phantom Junk Debt Collector

That is so pathetic! I recently reported a company for harrassing me about a debt I didn't owe. They were such idiots. They said they were hired by the state of California! I reported them to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and suddenly the calls from the nasty woman stopped!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is great you reported them.
Message 3 of 6
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Yeah this stuff blows. They pray on people in the hopes you're scared and pay them money.. I hope these people get prison time.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

These types of companies and scammers are the worst!

I wonder when they will go after CONvergent Outsourcing? Those bottom feeders have been trying to collect false debts all over the country recently. Calling people who live 1000 miles or more from the utility company they are allegedly collecting for, and ruining their credit in the process, all over false debts of less than $300 in the vast majority of cases.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had these collectors over the past few years call me trying to collect a debt I already paid or debt that I never had. What is scary is they have my full SS#. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.