Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feds say PayPal illegally signed consumers up for credit

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Feds say PayPal illegally signed consumers up for credit

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/feds-say-paypal-illegally-signed-consumers-up-for-credit/

Federal consumer watchdogs say PayPal illegally signed up customers for the online payment processor's online credit product.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on Tuesday filed a lawsuit in federal court charging PayPal with enrolling customers in the product, called PayPal Credit, without their permission. Customers were also allegedly required to use the service, formerly called Bill Me Later, instead of other payment methods.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Feds say PayPal illegally signed consumers up for credit

I'm glad someone is taking it to Paypal.. who they themselves say they aren't a bank! Me and the ebay rep on the phone the paypal rep was talking to were both flabbergasted. I'm like.. REALLY?! Gotta love hating them. Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 7
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Probably reasonable to assert Ebay saw this coming down the pike and began the process of divesting itself as Paypal has always been problematic to some degree or other.

Message 3 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Existentialist wrote:

Probably reasonable to assert Ebay saw this coming down the pike and began the process of divesting itself as Paypal has always been problematic to some degree or other.

This isn't going to be a massive fine most likely and I doubt it factored into the decision much.  Paypal was spun out because that's where the revenue was and likely because certain activist investors were pushing it.  I'm not certain Ebay makes much on their auction site, the fee increases over the past several years suggest they weren't breaking even.

        
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Might be a good time to send them a DV letter Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 7
kittywitty
Contributor

geesh i love paypal better then any bank i've ever used!!

Message 6 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Existentialist wrote:

This isn't going to be a massive fine most likely and I doubt it factored into the decision much.  Paypal was spun out because that's where the revenue was and likely because certain activist investors were pushing it.  I'm not certain Ebay makes much on their auction site, the fee increases over the past several years suggest they weren't breaking even.

So much this (care of CNBC).

Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.