Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fewer people have terrible credit scores

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Fewer people have terrible credit scores

"As more people cut back on taking on new debt and others ditch credit altogether, fewer are ending up with rock-bottom credit scores.

Compared to last year, about 1.4 million fewer people are now in the lowest FICO scoring range,according to new data from FICO (FICO), the most widely-used credit scoring metric. This year, just 14.2% of consumers fall into the 300 to 549 score range."

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/19/pf/credit-scores/index.html

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Fewer people have terrible credit scores

Thats great!

Although I have had very bad credit before with multiple collections and charge-offs, and my score never hit 549.  At lowest, I was probably in the 580s.  I think it takes serious negligence to get that low.   Maybe a drug addict who would just quickly use all the credit with no intention of ever paying it back could get there.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Negatives without any positive tradelines will get you that low.

That said, you mentioned a absolute drop in numbers down to a percentage; could you post from your source either the old percentage, or the absolute number from this year or last year?

1.4 M americans doesn't seem like a large percentage if we assume roughly 150M have a FICO score of some sort so maybe 15%?   Not sure on that 150M number, just making a swag.

        
Message 3 of 5
lithium78
Established Contributor

You'll notice that in the article it states that many consumers are no longer tracked by FICO, since they've completely fallen off the credit map by only using cash, debit cards, and payday lenders.  I think that plays the biggest role in the reduction of people with the worst credit scores.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My FAKO was 394 the first time I looked it up........ in 2006... Trust me; that score can go very very very low.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.