cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those that think wealthy don't carry debt...

tag
MrShush
Valued Contributor

For those that think wealthy don't carry debt...

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Re: For those that think wealthy don't carry debt...

I would hope this is common knowledge, although that article is about national debt and not a "wealthy" family.  Honestly, if you don't learn how to manage $1, you won't know how to manage $1,000,000.. which is why I don't play the Lotto.

Mo' money, mo' problems.

Message 2 of 12
jefftca925
Established Contributor

This post really doesn't belong in this forum and should be deleted as it is related to politics. We really don't wanna go there...
CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 12
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I posted this not to incite a political debate at all, rather the family of focus at the beginning. Economics, household or national, doesn't have to be a taboo topic.

Fictional or not, there are many high earning individuals I have worked with who have great jobs, excellent credit, but can't get approved for anything because their DTI is greater than 100%. The focus on credit cards in this forum seems to be largely around getting more and more. It is all too easy to spend more than one is physically able to repay.
Message 4 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Thread needs to be deleted because it is politically motivated and a made up story to bash the current economy.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, this thread is OK, provided future posters don't invoke politicking into their discussion (e.g. this Party failed to do this, or that Party is screwing us up). In other words, so as long as political parties or political names aren't added to the mix, and the comments are confined to addressing problems and/or solutions relating to the topic at hand, and everyone remains civil, then all would be well......otherwise post in HuffPo or National Review Online.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't matter how much money you make, if you have low self-control and don't live within your means, you're going to have problems.

Message 7 of 12
FrugalRican
Blogger

On a monthly basis, I see people that make 4X more than I do, and yet, their accounts are usually in the red.

Not even for a second do I believe that someone who makes more than me is less likely to carry no debt at all. If you make 4K a month and spend 4.5K... you can't really think you make a lot.

I know one man who makes 4K each WEEK and still can't keep his expenses down. His overdraft fees come out in the THOUSANDS by the end of the year.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 12
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

To the OP: I would argue that this family isn't wealthy at all.  Huge income <> wealth, it equals a huge income.

In fact, if Weath = Assets - Liabilities, then it must be true that in order to have a positive wealth, you must have less debt than assets.  I think the point you were trying to make is that people who make a ton of cheddar can be just as dumb (or more dumb) than those with modest incomes.  On that point, I'd agree wholeheartedly, as I used to be a SINK making ~$250K/year and still wound up filing BK.  I had no wealth.

The definition of wealth I use is slightly different than the simple formula above:  I'll consider myself "wealthy" when my cash/investments generate more income per year than I earn working.  IMO, true wealth means you don't have to work unless you want to.

My 2% Cashback,

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 9 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Just to put some perspective:  Ask a sick person their definition of WEALTH

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.