Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Given turmoil at traditional banks, time may be right to try a credit union

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Given turmoil at traditional banks, time may be right to try a credit union

The Web sites may not look quite as polished and the eligibility requirements may give you pause, but when it comes to low fees and generous rates, credit unions match banks head-to-head.

It's not that you'll find drastically better deals at credit unions, but their products should be among the options you consider when searching for savings and checking accounts, CDs, small-business, mortgage and auto loans, and credit cards -- particularly now, given that credit unions in large part sidestepped the subprime crisis.

Consumers should "include credit unions in their comparison shopping," said Greg McBride, senior financial analyst with Bankrate.com.

Currently, credit unions pay an average about 2.97% on one-year certificates of deposits, a tad better than banks' average of 2.36%, while credit unions' one-year adjustable rate mortgages average 4.88%, besting banks' 5.86%, according to Datatrac, a market-research firm focusing on bank products.

For a standard credit card, credit unions charge an average interest rate of 11.9%, compared with banks' 13.6%. And credit unions charge lower fees, on average.

"We're not-for-profit cooperatives. We don't have to charge as much, we're not going for profit and we don't have to pay taxes on the net income we do make," said Bill Hampel, chief economist with the Credit Union National Association, in Washington.

Credit unions are also weathering the subprime crisis better than some larger banks. "Credit unions didn't play the, 'Hey, there's more profit to be had by loosening our [lending] standards,'" said Daniel Penrod, industry analyst with California Credit Union League in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. "Because we're member-owned, any dollar that's lost is a dollar of the memberships' money, not some faceless shareholder, [so] they don't take the risk."

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Given turmoil at traditional banks, time may be right to try a credit union

I told a CSR at USAA that they ought to put me on commission! Smiley Wink

I'll keep the "major bank cards" to amuse the FICO scoring gods, but I know who really loves me.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

USAA is based her in San Antonio.  Largest building complex I have ever seen.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 4
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Also, USAA is not a CU. It's a member of the FDIC, and is a Federal Savings Bank. Is it actually 7 separate companies? About USAA.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.