cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government Involvement: Good or Bad?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Government Involvement: Good or Bad?

LOL you're saying inaccuracies cause low interest rates?

okay.. but the taxpayer IS the gov't..

idk if you know this or not, but

in a democracy.... "we the people..." control the gov't...

LOL

furthermore,

all of my balances are at 0% interest.

I suppose there is just a difference in ideology, but the consumers are winning on this one... just sayin'

*insert quote from Elizabeth Warren here*

Hate to be so political, but I assume some to believe that "tax breaks cure all" as well?

hapahaphaha

AGAIN, refer to financial crises in the past... TYPICALLY due to LOW regulation and TOOO lax of credit.

;-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 33
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@amex77 wrote:

Not one thing you mentioned is funded by the government. They are funded by the taxpayer. The government is the middleman. They take our money and give it to someone else and we have very little say in the matter.

+1. Beat me to it. 

It's like giving your money to a stranger to spend for you. If you walked up to someone and asked them to do that, they'd look at you like you're crazy. You know what your wants and needs are better than they do. Giving your money to the government is the same way. Sure, there are certain things (like national defense) that we really couldn't take care of ourselves in an efficient manner. But the general rule of thumb is that when the government steps in, things are worse off. Take social security as an example. Talk about mismanagement.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 12 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

No lol that isn't the general rule of thumb... Sure if you are of certAin ideology.. Yeah, it is lol. Omg..
Are you serious?! VOTING for LAWS and in ELECTIONS lol... That's not handing money to strangers.
Forgive me for having faith in America.
Pahaha oh wow...
I guess being an Econ major and actually understanding the role of gov't makes me an outlier hahaha!

You guys are cray:-P

Btw... Many things are quasipublic in nature, such as the items I mentioned.

Either way, the CFPB is good for the average American.
:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 33
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
No lol that isn't the general rule of thumb... Sure if you are of certAin ideology.. Yeah, it is lol. Omg..
Are you serious?! VOTING for LAWS and in ELECTIONS lol... That's not handing money to strangers.
Pahaha oh wow...
I guess being an Econ major and actually understanding the role of gov't makes me an outlier hahaha!

Maybe handing money to a friend is a better analogy.

While not an Econ major, I do have solid background in both Econ and government. And as far as an ideology is concerned, I tend to agree with much of what the founding fathers viewed as ideal. Take these two quotes from Thomas Jefferson, for instance. They define the appropriate role of government as our founding fathers viewed them. They also describe mismanagement according to them. I would have to agree on both:

"A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to  regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circlue of our felicities."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Message 14 of 33
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Jus

Pahaha oh wow...

Just wait till you are out of college for a good while, son. 

Message 15 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lol... You mean wait until Im old and rich and have no empathy for others? Not gonna happen. LOL. Although, I'm totally success driven :-)
Either way
, freedom of speech rocks as evidenced by
this convo ahhaah!

I trust my friends btw!! :-)
Message 16 of 33
Settemio
Regular Contributor

dont feel so bad, I got turned down too just now... my credit scores are around 720 with 25% util and they still said no... I am done with this card now. It served its purpose.

Oh sorry, posted on wrong thread... lol... yeah Crap1.

Message 17 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Oh haha Capital One, eh?

The bastards!
Message 18 of 33
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Lol... You mean wait until Im old and rich and have no empathy for others? Not gonna happen. LOL. Although, I'm totally success driven :-)
Either way
, freedom of speech rocks as evidenced by
this convo ahhaah!

I trust my friends btw!! :-)

There is a distinct difference between your generalization about being "old and rich and hav(ing) no empathy for others", and the views that I, and others, have expressed here.  I am only 22 years old and am a recent college graduate.  However, I am atypical in that not only do I listen to my elders, I actually ask for their input.  With age comes wisdom.  You would be surprised what you could learn.  You will find that it will change your opinion about a lot of things.  Life lessons and realizing the actual effects of things over time can be quite powerful in molding opinions.

Ah, yes, freedom of speech - so long as you don't say something that could possibly offend others (not politically correct) or be misconstrued as making you uncaring or lacking in empathy.  But that is another topic entirely - as if we aren't off topic enough already.

Message 19 of 33
jamie123
Valued Contributor

The government needs to step in when people are abused and injured by the products sold in the marketplace. Yes, many people have been abused and injured by the financial institutions in this country!

How can anyone make a statement that all government is bad? That is absolutely ludicrous!

Take automobiles as an example, if the government didn't regulate this industry we would still be doing the following:

Cars would be getting 10 miles per gallon of gasoline.

We wouldn't have seat belts.

We wouldn't have air bags.

Kids would be riding unrestrained and in the front seats.

Tires would be failing left and right.

We would be losing family members to crashes in unsafe vehicles.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.