Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HI suing credit card companies for "slamming"

tag
UpNComing
Established Contributor

HI suing credit card companies for "slamming"

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/Lawsuit-aims-to-stop-predatory-tactics-on-credit-card-holders/-/8905...

Anyone run into this?

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ccnewb23
Contributor

Re: HI suing credit card companies for "slamming"

Yup, I recently review my father's credit card statement because he was under some kind of "credit card protector plan" from chase bank.I called chase and I said we didn't sign up for this. I then said something like I want to dispute or a refund for the amount we've been charged. The charges were about 50 bucks a month. The next statement he received around 1,400 dollars on his credit.

AmEx Green NPSL | Barclays Rewards MC $4,200 | BofA 1-2-3 Visa $1,500 | Phillips Conoco 76 Gas Card $600 | AmEx BCE $25k | Discover IT $1,000
Message 2 of 8
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@ccnewb23 wrote:

Yup, I recently review my father's credit card statement because he was under some kind of "credit card protector plan" from chase bank.I called chase and I said we didn't sign up for this. I then said something like I want to dispute or a refund for the amount we've been charged. The charges were about 50 bucks a month. The next statement he received around 1,400 dollars on his credit.

Wow, really?

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 3 of 8
Scene
Regular Contributor

The credit companies automatically enroll you into these programs and it is up to you to cancel these services. It's kind of annoying and it happened to me too. Sometimes they have several tiers of "credit protection" and they make you jump through a bunch of hoops just to cancel the whole thing. I was eventually refunded for all of the fees associated with the program (30 day money back guarantee of some sort) but it took several calls to the company handling the "protection."

Message 4 of 8
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

I sure have never had or even heard anyone claim that all credit card companies automatically enroll people in these programs. It would be illegal big time to do that. I think a bunch of people dont say no thanks in no uncertain terms i dont want it, if they are trying to sell it during an activation and only afterwards realize that they have just signed you up. That is why they have 30 day money back guaruntee. Are there unethical card companies that force people into onerous terms First Premier come to mind, but that is taking advantage of people that no one else will give credit too.
Message 5 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

For years, Chase was charging my wife about $20 a month for "protection" in the event she couldn't pay her CC bill. She stated she never signed up for the protection, so she cancelled it years ago. Chase refused to refund her several hundreds of dollars. I'm glad my state is finally doing something, Go Louie!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Scene wrote:

The credit companies automatically enroll you into these programs and it is up to you to cancel these services. It's kind of annoying and it happened to me too. Sometimes they have several tiers of "credit protection" and they make you jump through a bunch of hoops just to cancel the whole thing. I was eventually refunded for all of the fees associated with the program (30 day money back guarantee of some sort) but it took several calls to the company handling the "protection."

I've never seen auto-enrollment. Sometimes it's not as clear as it probably should be, but never auto-enrollment.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I have never seen auto enrollment for these either and I have had a cap 1, discover, and Chase card. Never seen anything on the statements besides an annual fee and my own purchases. Of course the CCC's advertise these plans as something great but as far as I know you have to signup for it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.