Established Contributor
pipeguy

Happy anniversary, swipe fee reform (Opinion Article)

First couple of lines:

October 1 marks the one-year anniversary of the implementation of debit card  swipe fee reform. It’s a reform that is working well and is a good start toward  bringing transparency and competition to debit and credit card swipe fees.

As a strong advocate of the free market system, I’m confident that I know a  free market when I see one. The credit and debit card swipe fee system is in no  sense a free market.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81843.html?hp=l22

*** Remember the Tallyman because he sure remembers you ***
Established Contributor
lithium78

Re: Happy anniversary, swipe fee reform (Opinion Article)

I haven't noticed any reductions in prices from merchants after the debit card swipe fee reform bill passed.  I disagree with the article that merchants didn't just pocket the difference.  They definitely did.  If a merchant is only making 1-3% profit on their goods, they clearly don't possess good business skills and I have a really hard time feeling sympathetic.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+