Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

His, hers or ours? Setting up finances as a couple

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: His, hers or ours? Setting up finances as a couple

@Anonymous wrote:

But as long as the accounts balance, life is good.

Bookkeeping terminology is unknown to me, but I take it you mean that when you add up household income, you get a number, and when you add up household expenses, you get the same number? Which applies regardless of whether it's his, hers and ours or simply ours?

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I think that beamMEup was saying that if it makes sense for the couple involved, then it's good.

Sure. But I'm interested in knowing how separate accounts make sense. Smiley Tongue

But some people just flat don't want to know, and there's not a whole lot you can do about that.

Right. But then it doesn't really make sense to them. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

To me, separate accounts make sense because you have two separate people with separate interests. They have joined to form an economic unit, and those expenses should be dealt with via a joint account. Individual wishes/ wants/ needs can be paid for out of individual accounts.

I'm sure that somewhere, there are perfect marriages/ partnerships where neither raises an eyebrow at the other's odd hobbies, whether it's 70's pop music or raising racing pigeons. In those cases, it's maybe no big deal to buy the entire CD catalogue of Neil Diamond, or order new pigeon crates. (Do pigeons live in crates?) But for most of us, having some autonomy is useful, and important.

So maybe one person is obsessed with maximizing savings, and the other wants to go back to school for a degree, both very admirable goals. After putting their share into the joint account, each can then fund what's important to them, without the other quietly (or not-so-quietly) brooding about misplaced priorities. Or if there's brooding, at least it's not about how the other is diverting too much money from the family funds for his or her own project.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 21
MattH
Senior Contributor

My wife and I both work have good jobs and have always maintained individual accounts, mainly because we find it simpler to keep track of each account if only one person uses it.  My parents have always had a joint account, and I can recall innumerable conversations beginning "how much was check 4321* and to whom?"  Also each of us has active accounts on his/her credit history.  For bill paying, we work things out by mutual agreement; since our income exceeds our expenses and each of us has some savings, our money conversations are not particularly stressful.  Our only debt is our mortgage, which is in both names; credit cards we always pay in full each month.

*By the way, back when I actually cashed paper checks I noticed many clerks would assume a high check number meant I had been with that bank a long time and therefore my check was safe.  But most check printers will happily start numbering blank checks at any specified value, so a high check number means nothing.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 13 of 21
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Matt, your check story is interesting. But my assumption is that you have access to any account that's in your name (individual) or both names (joint). If one writes a check and forgets about it, it'll happen whether it's individual or joint. And these days of course you can just go online and see an image of the check.

Bill paying is another fun topic. Everything we have online accounts for is automated. For those few bills we get in the mail, either one of us can pay them. If I forget it, she'll step in. But I don't forget because I have a spreadsheet that lists all income and expenses, which has been massaged months in advance.

For the mutual agreement on bills, do you split the cost evenly? I suppose it could also be based on salary or usage. We completely bypass all of that. We wouldn't know how to measure if one uses more electricity or shampoo than the other. If one happens to eat noticeably more than the other, it's not primarily a financial problem, but a medical situation and should be addressed as such.

You and your wife enjoy maintaining individual accounts. Neither of us can say that. She has no interest in it, and I do it because I happen to be comfortable with numbers. But before everything got automated, she would write all the checks, lick the envelopes and put on the stamps to make up for me doing the spreadsheet.

Neither of us is excessive, because we know it means less money for paying extra on the mortgage. But when we go to the movie theatre, we share the large popcorn and soda combo simply because we have always done it. Neither of us likes butter on the popcorn, and we can surely agree on that one weekly beverage.

About the separate interests that hauling mentioned. When we married, we didn't do so to form an economic unit. Sure, we have separate interests, but none that require real money. We have autonomy whenever needed, but not to the extent that separate accounts are called for. But it should be noted that we didn't marry to spend time away from each other.

She would like to get this really nice espresso machine, and I don't drink coffee. She doesn't do such things often, she can get it a half price next month, and it'll keep her happy for years. I can't possibly raise an eyebrow at that. All those things even out between the two of us anyway in the long run.

But say we have separate accounts and she has her work hours reduced by half. She may need money to fullfill our bill arrangement. If she asks me for help, should I pull out a loan agreement for her to sign, and if she doesn't pay on time, should I take her to the local small claims court? I don't know. Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, no, I don't think of the main reason for marriage as establishing an economic unit, but that's one of the things that happens along the way. Smiley Very Happy

Nerdy fyi, somehow remembered from my Greek history class: "economy" comes from the Greek word oikos, which means "household." Smiley Very Happy

I will point out one thing: for those who write checks instead of using CC's, it's a whole lot easier to surprise one's honey with an espresso machine if the purchase doesn't display in the check register! Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 21
marty56
Super Contributor

Seperate accounts allow both people to maintain their own credit histories.  Many times a couple has been married say 50 years and the husband dies and the wife has no credit history.

It also makes less stress because each partner pays the bills the way they want.  I pay my CC card as soon as the charge posts and DW pays when she receives the statement.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 16 of 21
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

Seperate accounts allow both people to maintain their own credit histories.  Many times a couple has been married say 50 years and the husband dies and the wife has no credit history.

A joint bank account can do that as well!

It also makes less stress because each partner pays the bills the way they want.  I pay my CC card as soon as the charge posts and DW pays when she receives the statement.

But what if payments are on auto-pilot? Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

A joint bank account can do that as well!

But what if payments are on auto-pilot? Smiley Wink

Ah, but the auto-pilot deal is not an issue if you're paying from two different checking accounts! Smiley Wink Smiley Wink

I do have to agree with marty on the payment timing thing. I'd go bananas if I knew that I might have balances reporting. DXH was very good-natured about paying early, but he also had an unnerving habit of charging something the day before the statement dropped.

I figure that since it's a given that I'm neurotic about a few things, life is better if I keep my accounts separate. Smiley Wink Smiley Wink Smiley Wink

'scuse me, my eye is starting to twitch! Smiley Tongue

Message 18 of 21
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Hauling, I don't worry all that much about balances reporting anymore. We have about five cards each on mostly shared accounts, and I consider it part of life that a second might report at times.

Obsessive behaviour will prevail for a few key dates until Thanksgiving, but by New Year everything will have reported in an optimally clean fashion, barring forgetfulness of some sort. You just never know. Smiley Wink

The forecast has made me rethink the need to pay before the statement date. Normal monthly charges won't dent our overall reported credit limit to take the util anywhere near outside the single digit comfort zone.

But I'll probably stick with paying before the statement date, for two reasons. One is that by nature I play it minimally. The other is the cushion to fall back paying by the due date. The scores though are not a concern.

When that is said, I'll give it a shot sometime next year to really bring them up beyond anything we have experienced in the past year. At the 6 month point of recent events and then again at 12 months. I'll keep you posted. Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 21
marty56
Super Contributor

But I'll probably stick with paying before the statement date, for two reasons. One is that by nature I play it minimally. The other is the cushion to fall back paying by the due date. The scores though are not a concern.

On my Newegg account which does not report and my AC account which does, both at 0% for 1 year, I pay the mimium due as soon as the statement drops and then I pay extra by the due date  In this way I protect my 0% and can be flexable on how much a pay extra each month if there is left over in my budget.

The other reason I pay early is that I have less than 2 years on my BofA major derog to fall off and the last thing I want is a 30 day late after work for over 8 years to clean up my credit.

I don not want to jinx any new  couples here but with the divorce rate being what it is, you must protect yourself since no one gets married thinking divorce will happen to them.   We all all seen posts in this forum and ID theft and account raiding by former spouses, and we all know what money can do to people's thought processes. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.