cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad will it get for American Express?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How bad will it get for American Express?

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

The article seems to make more fun the fact Amex people have masters degrees. Like it's a crime. 

Hmm, I didn't interpret the reading that way.  I understood it as a disconnect between people at Amex and the people in the trenches - stocking shelves you know..

Yes, same here. If the article is correct, Amex takes its image of exclusivity in a deeply personal way, down to the bones of its corporate culture. Major culture clash between that and the upstart, bare bones culture of Costco.

I also wouldn't be surprised if part of the culture clash is east vs west, urbanite vs suburban-rural west. Manhattan tends to view itself as the center of the civilized and monied world and Manhattanites (no offsense to those here) sometimes act as if the rest of the country is populated by the Beverly Hillbillies. Issaquah, WA, where Costco is headquartered, is a humble suburb in the foothills of the Cascades, near Seattle but not exactly on the beaten path. To people used to Wall Street and Broadway, it's downright quaint. Probably all this lends itself in some way to Amex's disrespect for Costco and Costco's lack of interest in pursuing Amex to the very end to keep the relationship.

Interesting article! Thanks!

Well said!!  In my opinion, Amex is somehow bringing this unto themselves somewhat in addition to all the other problems.. For small businesses alone for example, why are their processing fees higher than Visa and Mastercard? Alienating these businesses don't help their bottom line.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to say ... American Consumers have changed?! Obtained my first AX Green and Gold Cards (charge) in 1973 along with a Diners Club and Carte Blanche Cards. At the time there was never any thought that the cards would be used at the everyday stores and shops. They were for the affluent (moneyed - in our own minds anyway) and restricted to the elite and high end shops. We carried the cards as a mark of status not so we could go into KMART, Walmart, Target or the Men's Warehouse. Gads! We did not expect to use them as an everyday cards. Now we expect to take American Express into Walmart or Costco (unreal). Anyway, AX is wrestling with the changed world and the difference in generations and shoppers. Look at what has happened to Diners Club and Carte Blanche. Will AX end up there? AX always had higher annual fees and higher Aprs after all they were exclusive. Will Americans buy that line today? As Paul Harvey used to say: "... and now for the rest of the story". As we gasp over the situation poor AX finds themselves in ... what about MasterCard? As some posters would say ... it is all about business and may the best company win!

Message 12 of 16
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Spider15 wrote:

What to say ... American Consumers have changed?! Obtained my first AX Green and Gold Cards (charge) in 1973 along with a Diners Club and Carte Blanche Cards. At the time there was never any thought that the cards would be used at the everyday stores and shops. They were for the affluent (moneyed - in our own mines anyway) and restricted to the elite and high end shops. We carried the cards as a mark of status not so we could go into KMART, Walmart, Target or the Men's Warehouse. Gads! We did not expect to use them as an everyday cards. Now we expect to take American Express into Walmart or Costco (unreal). Anyway, AX is wrestling with the changed world and the difference in generations and shoppers. Look at what has happened to Diners Club and Carte Blanche. Will AX end up there? AX always had higher annual fees and higher Aprs after all they were exclusive. Will Americans buy that line today? As Paul Harvey used to say: "... and now for the rest of the story". As we gasp over the situation poor AX finds themselves in ... what about MasterCard? As some posters would say ... it is all about business and may the best company win!

Quite true, it is not about the consumer. Back in the day AMEX and Diners Club were targeted toward travelers - great alternative to Travelers checks - remember those? Often, the cards were company backed (big oil in my case). So, not necessarliy catering specifically to the affluent. Revolving CCs started coming on strong in the mid 80s as I recall.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/06/05/travelers-checks-the-3-times-youd-actually-still-u....

AMEX and Diners helped change the way we transact and I wish AMEX continued success. Perhaps they need to revisit how best to position their products in the marketplace.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thomas_Thumb - Travelers Checks! As to big companies ... mine was Ford Motor. Great article on Traveler's Checks ... missed it on the first read. You may be interested to know that AAA has discontinued the issuance of Traveler's Checks. Hmm ... that Travel Card that is reloadable and not connected to any bankiing relationship looks a solid alternative?!

Message 14 of 16
Pway
Valued Contributor

Very interesting read. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 15 of 16
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I don't know. It seems the author feels for Amex and unfortunately oversimplifies Costco; he likely has the inside scoop on the former far more than the latter. Costco can't be reduced to just savings; they too understand the value of perks, and they treat their employees considerably better than say Walmart and Target. But as so much has been demystified over the last some years and in parallel the income inequality nationwide has steadily increased, I don't see the split between Amex and Costco as a surprise.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.