Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How credit scores predict what you will buy next

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

How credit scores predict what you will buy next

For decades, FICO has used big data and mathematical algorithms to calculate people's three-digit credit scores. Now it's using the same technology to predict whether a consumer's likely to buy a product in-store or click on a link online.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How credit scores predict what you will buy next

Creepy, Im not interested in being tracked that closely and I actively try and block all tracking bots.

Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

Creepy, Im not interested in being tracked that closely and I actively try and block all tracking bots.

I pretty much lived by this code and also didn't engage in social media... and then found out apparently to date in the 21st century you really need a social media profile.  Oh well, time to throw out crap in all of it's stunningly boring glory.

On topic, I sort of wonder though if at some point this might affect shopping too though if I had to guess it won't, hard to say, but creepy indeed.

        
Message 3 of 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

ok, that is scary! but, as of late, if they were to track me, and "predict" my next purchase, it would be food, LOL.
Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:
ok, that is scary! but, as of late, if they were to track me, and "predict" my next purchase, it would be food, LOL.

I resemble that remark Smiley Happy.  Well, I may need to figure out different shoes for work, untucking the shirt should be good enough there.

        
Message 5 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The extent of my social media presence is this site; I have the same name as my father who refuses to use 'Sr.' (don't get me started) so most people looking online for me would find him, anyway... which I think is actually quite comical especially since he's quite active on Facebook.  Smiley Very Happy

That being said, I've found that even browsing on google their advertising algorithms have figured out by my searches that I'm a male age 40+... I always thought of myself as 'unique' and hard to nail-down (OK, read: 'odd' and 'strange')... I guess I'm not that different from all the other 40+ dudes out there after all.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing... LOL.  Smiley Surprised

I can clear everything in all browsers and in a matter of weeks it has me 'figured out' again... I have to say, it would be impressive if it weren't so darn creepy.  I do admit that with time I'm not as alarmed as I once was... I guess I've become desensitized the last few years.  I can only imagine how it would be if I were on social media... wow. 

Message 6 of 8
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

All of this "tracking" in the name of "marketing" is down right scary. Privacy has forever taken a change fore the worse. And yes, big brother is always watching.  

It's only the identity of "Big Brother" that is constantly changing. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Medical offices, billing companies - they do the whole data trolling too.

With all of DH's stuff going on, I laugh when the person at the front desk hands us back the military ID and says, "No, I HAVE to have your driver's license!"  Uh, no you don't!  Smiley Happy  All you are suppose to do is verify that the person you think you are saying matches the ID card.  Funny how they never actually look at the ID card picture.

And the billing companies (especially medical) INSIST on having the person's DOB, SS, physical address, biling address, name of the bank, name of employer, address and phone number of the employer, as well as personal references as well as the invoice number and the balance due BEFORE they will accept a payment!  And if you aren't hte patient, they demand all of yoru pesonal information to, for documentation purproses, as they must document who made the payment.  Uh, no, you don't need all of that.  You were hired to send out invoices and to collect payment.  I call to make a payment, you accept my payment.  Who cares who I am and all of my personal information if the bill is being paid?

And retail stores?  Oh man!  First thing out of the cashier's mouth - "What is your phone number?"  Followed by, "What is your email?"   And sometimes followed by "What is your address?"  I tell them all, no phone number, no email, no address, no thank you.

I clear the cache often.  I am always amazed how facebook.com or ebay.com or careerbuilder.com has left cookies or has cache on my computer when I don't go to their sites!  And twitter too!  I don't even know how to use twitter and I have never ever been to their site!

Scarey!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.