Did you mean: 

Interesting Article about debt collectors pulling your credit file

tag
Beasley12
Regular Contributor

Interesting Article about debt collectors pulling your credit file

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/debt-collector-stop-pulling-credit-120039578.html

Highlighted portion:

A Credit.com reader, Lori, wanted to know if a debt collector could continue to pull her credit even after a small-claims case had been dismissed. She had successfully had the information removed from her credit reports, but the collection agency, which now had no case against her, had pulled her credit twice since the case was dismissed. Her question: Is that legal?

The answer is simple, according to Chi Chi Wu, an attorney with the National Consumer Law Center: No. In the organization’s legal manual Fair Credit Reporting, it says:

Even in the case of credit accounts, collection is not a permissible purpose for obtaining a consumer report once the account is no longer collectible.

Making the debt collectors stop checking, however, may not be easy. Lori may need to to complain to regulators and/or hire an attorney, Wu said. She can submit a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, or she could look for a lawyer (the National Association of Consumer Advocates has a list on its website).

EQ FICO 564 (3/12) Lender pull 673 (4/12) FICO 703 (6/13)
TU FICO 605 (6/12) to FICO 687 (3/13) Lender pull 680 (4/13)
EXP FICO lender pull (4/13) 651
Homeowner since September 2013!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Interesting Article about debt collectors pulling your credit file

Message 2 of 3
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Re: Interesting Article about debt collectors pulling your credit file

@guiness56 wrote:

That makes sense.

Once a debt no longer exists there is no PP.

Does that only count for hard pulls, or would it apply for soft pulls as well?

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.