Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting article on Synchrony default rates - etc

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Interesting article on Synchrony default rates - etc

http://fortune.com/2016/06/16/synchrony-financial-credit-card-defaults/

"It’s the price credit card companies will have to pay in order to boost their bottom lines: Even as Synchrony Financial’s charge-offs rose to $780 million in the first quarter of 2016 versus $668 million a year earlier, its net interest income—what it earns from charging customers on their unpaid credit card balances—jumped nearly 12% to more than $3.2 billion. That was fueled by a 13% increase in Synchrony’s outstanding loans to consumers."

Another look: http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-synchrony-financial-spooked-the-credit-card-industry-1465923516

"Synchrony issues branded credit cards with retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores. These tend to go to slightly riskier borrowers than many bank-issued cards. At the end of March, 28% of Synchrony’s credit-card loans were to borrowers with FICO scores of 660 or less. That compares with 18% for Discover and just 14% for J.P. Morgan Chase’s cards. But it isn’t as aggressive as Capital One, which had 35% of loans below that threshold".

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interesting article on Synchrony default rates - etc

Great info ... appreciate the update!
Message 2 of 3
Grafton88
Established Contributor

Re: Interesting article on Synchrony default rates - etc

Thanks for posting this.  I think people apping for more credit should heed articles like this before getting in too deep.  I saw someone post that they had something like 14 Synchrony cards.  That is just too much.  They shouldn't be surprised to get them canceled all at once.

I had two Synchrony cards and plan to get another late next year.  I like to take it slow.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.