Valued Contributor
my-own-fico

Is It Safe To Bank On Public Wi-Fi?

I was wondering how this article ties in with wifi access to myFICO.

In light of this, if you go to http://ficoforums.myfico.com/ and click on Register, is that a way to create a forums login that is entirely separate from your myFICO score report login? I am concerned that as a default a login is used for both.

TU 04 820 mortgage preapproval middle score
Super Contributor
marty56

Re: Is It Safe To Bank On Public Wi-Fi?

I would not do it unless they use wireless encryption.  I would also not use a public computer like in a library or school either. 

09/12/2013 FICO: EQ: 772 EX:813 TU:752
oogy

Having spent a few years in a call center doing tech support in a former life, I would never recommend you use public wifi for anything you're be concerned about being stolen.  It's ridiculous how easy it is to "hack" a wifi (even one that is "secured") if you know what you're doing.  9 times out of 10, you're alright because no one else in that library or coffee shop with you has any malicious intentions - but that one time when you happen to be in the wrong wifi hotspot at the wrong time is all it takes to make a big mess.

EX: 683 (Nov 12)
EQ: 703 (Nov 12)
TU: ???
2013 Goals:
725+ by Summer and 750+ by Year end
Regular Contributor
awal

I'm not sure if I would consider this hacking a wifi network. I think this can better be described as spoofing a web page. This kind of thing could be done on a wired or wireless network. It basically comes down to don't connect to a network (wired or wifi) you don't trust even if it is encrypted.

Starting Scores: 667 EQ 09/2013 | 682 TU08 01/2014 | 685 EX 03/2013(via AMEX App)
Current Scores: 667 EQ 09/2013 | 681 TU08 07/2014 | 689 EX 06/2014(via AMEX CLI)

AMEX BCE $12.3K | AMEX Zync NPSL | Cap1 Quicksilver MC $3.5K | NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $20K
NFCU NavChek $15K | Target Visa $5K | Comenity VS $2.2K | Walmart $3.3K
Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay

It is if you use a VPN (virtual private network), which creates a private, secure tunnel for your transmissions.

You can do this using a VPN service (for a fee), or you can create one on your own, linking to your own PC at home or elsewhere. 

If you are on the road a lot and need banking access, this is could work well for you.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+