youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

JP Morgan lowers FICO requirements and downpayments for Jumbo MOrtgages

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JP Morgan lowers FICO requirements and downpayments for Jumbo MOrtgages

Can you summarize please for those of us who aren't WSJ subscribers?  Couldn't find the article elsewhere.

        
Message 2 of 13
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: JP Morgan lowers FICO requirements and downpayments for Jumbo Mortgages

@Revelate wrote:

Can you summarize please for those of us who aren't WSJ subscribers?  Couldn't find the article elsewhere.

^^^^

My summary of what the article said is:

The nation’s largest bank by assets plans to announce Wednesday that it is lowering the minimum credit score and down payment it requires for mortgages as big as $3 million.

For jumbo mortgages, J.P. Morgan plans to lower the minimum FICO credit scores it requires to 680 from 740 for loans on primary single-family purchases, second homes and certain refinances on those properties.

The New York firm’s moves follow similar steps at Bank of America Corp., Wells Fargo & Co. and other banks on requirements for “jumbo” mortgages—those that exceed $417,000 in most parts of the country or $625,500 in pricier markets.

The bank is allowing a 15% down payment for loans up to $3 million, compared with Bank of America and PNC Financial Services Group Inc., which permit a 15% down payment for jumbo loans of up to $1 million and $1.5 million, respectively.

J.P. Morgan’s changes, which go into effect Wednesday, will reduce minimum down payments for some borrowers to 15% of the purchase price for single-family homes serving as the borrower’s primary residence, down from 20% currently. That change applies to mortgages between $1.5 million and $3 million; the bank last year made the same change for jumbo mortgages up to $1.5 million.

The bank also is lowering down-payment thresholds for jumbo mortgages used for second homes, such as vacation homes, and certain two- to four-unit properties. The bank says the changes simplify its offerings.

Several large banks have recently lowered their jumbo-mortgage requirements. Wells Fargo last year cut the minimum down payment it requires to 10.1% from 15% for jumbo mortgages of up to $1 million.

In June, Bank of America began allowing first-time home buyers, which it defines as people who haven’t owned a home for at least three years, to make 15% down payments for jumbo mortgages of up to $1 million. The bank previously excluded this group of buyers from its 15% down-payment option, which it rolled out in 2013.

PNC in May switched to 15% minimum down payments for all eligible borrowers for jumbo loans of up to $1.5 million, down from 20% previously. Last year, it lowered the minimum required FICO score to 700 from 720.

Message 3 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Er, this is news now?

That was the rate sheet when I started my home buying process slightly over 2 months ago looking at jumbo properties through Chase: 740 for 15% down, and 680 for minimum FICO at 30% DP... 20% at 700.

I was hoping for something newer than that haha.

        
Message 4 of 13
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Hmm...interesting, it was in yesterday's WSJ and mentioned atrting Wed--today--Chase will implement this.

Message 5 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

Hmm...interesting, it was in yesterday's WSJ and mentioned atrting Wed--today--Chase will implement this.

Possible it was a trial out here in Cali; I know there are adjustments for state but I didn't play with their prequal tool for any state other than Cali.

Might be a national rollout, or maybe it's just marketing.

        
Message 6 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

It's marketing....

Message 7 of 13
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

tricky....chumming the waters...

Message 8 of 13
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Er, this is news now?

That was the rate sheet when I started my home buying process slightly over 2 months ago looking at jumbo properties through Chase: 740 for 15% down, and 680 for minimum FICO at 30% DP... 20% at 700.

I was hoping for something newer than that haha.

The new requirements are 680 score and 15 % down. Plus the loan amounts has increased. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

Possible it was a trial out here in Cali; I know there are adjustments for state but I didn't play with their prequal tool for any state other than Cali.

Might be a national rollout, or maybe it's just marketing.

Considering that $400,000 buys a detached garage in someone else's backyard in the major metros of California, I'm not surprised.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.