Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jenkins v. Equifax Notice of Settlement

tag
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Jenkins v. Equifax Notice of Settlement

Received a Notice of Class Action Settlement in the mail today concerning EQ. It alleges EQ violated FCRA by issuing consumer disclosures containing public record info w/o identifying the vendors it employed to obtain the info. It said the court has preliminarily approved the settlement.

It also said EQ has agreed to make substantial changes to the way it reports public records in its credit reports, whatever that actually means.

The Final Fairness Hearing for this case is Oct 28, 2016.

I'm interested in knowing what these "substantial changes" are.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: Jenkins v. Equifax Notice of Settlement

The changes are basically letting you know where the public records came from:

Injunctive Relief. Equifax will add text to the top of the public records section of any consumer disclosure containing a public record, which will identify the name, physical address, and website of the vendor that supplies any public record in the File that could be furnished in a Consumer Report. Equifax will confirm that it has implemented these changes no later than ninety (90) days after Final Approval. This term will be stated within the Final Approval Order.

In the event a consumer disputes a public record item, Equifax will either forward the dispute to the vendor from which it obtained the public record item, or directly resolve the consumer's dispute in the consumer's File, as appropriate.

(Also, free credit monitoring for 18 months to members of the Class, $5,000 to each named Plaintiff, and $2.8M to the lawyers.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 2 of 12
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Thanks for the additional info, didn't have time at work before to say more. Don't tell my boss! 😎

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got mine in the mail.  18 months of Credit Watch isn't bad for doing nothing.

So, is this going out to everyone, or just people who had something in their CR? (I had a supposed tax lien that was probably my ex-wife's, managed to get it removed.  It appeared on my CR nearly 10 years after the fact, and luckily, just a few weeks after closing on my mortgage)

Message 4 of 12
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

Would this apply to any of us with a paid/unpaid judgement on our report ?

I have a paid one on EQ, ( shows only incorrect amount pd and no furnisher ) same on EX. 

FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 5 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@iv wrote:

The changes are basically letting you know where the public records came from:

Injunctive Relief. Equifax will add text to the top of the public records section of any consumer disclosure containing a public record, which will identify the name, physical address, and website of the vendor that supplies any public record in the File that could be furnished in a Consumer Report. Equifax will confirm that it has implemented these changes no later than ninety (90) days after Final Approval. This term will be stated within the Final Approval Order.

In the event a consumer disputes a public record item, Equifax will either forward the dispute to the vendor from which it obtained the public record item, or directly resolve the consumer's dispute in the consumer's File, as appropriate.

(Also, free credit monitoring for 18 months to members of the Class, $5,000 to each named Plaintiff, and $2.8M to the lawyers.)

Well the lawyers made out...big time!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 6 of 12
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, is this going out to everyone, or just people who had something in their CR?

I got the email also.  I'm guessing you must have challenged a public record with them, and then asked

for them to supply the furnisher of the information.  In my case, they replied in a very non-descript manner

citing something like "various sources" as the furnisher.

It's a shame their "Equifax Credit Watch Gold With Scores" doesn't supply actual FICO scores.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops I posted this on another forum. WIll ask mods to delete, but yes, I just  figured out that it's not fico scores. I pay for CCT so probably not  that useful for me.

Message 8 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Had one waiting in my mailbox when I got back from school.

Don't really need it although maybe I'll pick it up just to see what their product suite offers but report access isn't that bad these days and the last thing I need is access to another junk score.

I had disputed the tax lien to get it updated after I paid it, and I did challenge one of my old ones has been obsolete, potentially either of those could have triggered it or just the fact I have a tax lien on my report at all, hard to say.

Amusing to me that my real address is one thing, the address on my credit report is another, and the address they sent it to (which somehow did get to me, I guess USPS deals with hokey addresses often but the majority of the sorting data was right so I guess it worked out) was a third.  

        
Message 9 of 12
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

Guess no part of the settlement for me them !
Maybe they'll update the ..furnisher..of information. .sometime or another ! Haven't yet !
FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.