Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Contributor

Jenkins v. Equifax Notice of Settlement

Received a Notice of Class Action Settlement in the mail today concerning EQ. It alleges EQ violated FCRA by issuing consumer disclosures containing public record info w/o identifying the vendors it employed to obtain the info. It said the court has preliminarily approved the settlement.

It also said EQ has agreed to make substantial changes to the way it reports public records in its credit reports, whatever that actually means.

The Final Fairness Hearing for this case is Oct 28, 2016.

I'm interested in knowing what these "substantial changes" are.

Current FICO 8's: EX 710, TU 705, EQ 705
Gardening for 16/24 months
Oldest TL: 5yr 7mo - AAoA: 2yr 11mo - INQ: EX(7) - EQ(4) - TU(7)
Plans: Pay off medical debt; Get a car
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Jenkins v. Equifax Notice of Settlement

The changes are basically letting you know where the public records came from:

Injunctive Relief. Equifax will add text to the top of the public records section of any consumer disclosure containing a public record, which will identify the name, physical address, and website of the vendor that supplies any public record in the File that could be furnished in a Consumer Report. Equifax will confirm that it has implemented these changes no later than ninety (90) days after Final Approval. This term will be stated within the Final Approval Order.

In the event a consumer disputes a public record item, Equifax will either forward the dispute to the vendor from which it obtained the public record item, or directly resolve the consumer's dispute in the consumer's File, as appropriate.

(Also, free credit monitoring for 18 months to members of the Class, $5,000 to each named Plaintiff, and $2.8M to the lawyers.)

EQ8:844 TU8:845 EX8:850 (MyFico) - 2017-10-16
Established Contributor

Thanks for the additional info, didn't have time at work before to say more. Don't tell my boss! 😎

Current FICO 8's: EX 710, TU 705, EQ 705
Gardening for 16/24 months
Oldest TL: 5yr 7mo - AAoA: 2yr 11mo - INQ: EX(7) - EQ(4) - TU(7)
Plans: Pay off medical debt; Get a car
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Just got mine in the mail.  18 months of Credit Watch isn't bad for doing nothing.

So, is this going out to everyone, or just people who had something in their CR? (I had a supposed tax lien that was probably my ex-wife's, managed to get it removed.  It appeared on my CR nearly 10 years after the fact, and luckily, just a few weeks after closing on my mortgage)

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Would this apply to any of us with a paid/unpaid judgement on our report ?

I have a paid one on EQ, ( shows only incorrect amount pd and no furnisher ) same on EX. 

FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

iv wrote:

The changes are basically letting you know where the public records came from:

Injunctive Relief. Equifax will add text to the top of the public records section of any consumer disclosure containing a public record, which will identify the name, physical address, and website of the vendor that supplies any public record in the File that could be furnished in a Consumer Report. Equifax will confirm that it has implemented these changes no later than ninety (90) days after Final Approval. This term will be stated within the Final Approval Order.

In the event a consumer disputes a public record item, Equifax will either forward the dispute to the vendor from which it obtained the public record item, or directly resolve the consumer's dispute in the consumer's File, as appropriate.

(Also, free credit monitoring for 18 months to members of the Class, $5,000 to each named Plaintiff, and $2.8M to the lawyers.)

Well the lawyers made out...big time!!!

TU fico08=820 8/25/17
EX fico08=812 9/05/17
EQ fico08=817 8/25/17
Garden since 4/5/2017
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

OzMan1788 wrote:

So, is this going out to everyone, or just people who had something in their CR?

I got the email also.  I'm guessing you must have challenged a public record with them, and then asked

for them to supply the furnisher of the information.  In my case, they replied in a very non-descript manner

citing something like "various sources" as the furnisher.

It's a shame their "Equifax Credit Watch Gold With Scores" doesn't supply actual FICO scores.

EQ8 781 | EX8 778 | TU8 762 | TCL 175K
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Oops I posted this on another forum. WIll ask mods to delete, but yes, I just  figured out that it's not fico scores. I pay for CCT so probably not  that useful for me.

My Fico 8s- 7/20/2017: TU 815 | EX 791|EQ 800
My Wallet - Chase Ink Plus $17K | Discover IT - $26K | Freedom -$9K | Amex BCP- $20K | Amex Oasis - $15K | CU Visa -5K |JCP- $10K
My Utilization- 3% | My INQs - 1 TU, 2 EQ, 5 EX | AAOA 5 yrs | Oldest Account 20. 4 years

[ Edited ]

Had one waiting in my mailbox when I got back from school.

Don't really need it although maybe I'll pick it up just to see what their product suite offers but report access isn't that bad these days and the last thing I need is access to another junk score.

I had disputed the tax lien to get it updated after I paid it, and I did challenge one of my old ones has been obsolete, potentially either of those could have triggered it or just the fact I have a tax lien on my report at all, hard to say.

Amusing to me that my real address is one thing, the address on my credit report is another, and the address they sent it to (which somehow did get to me, I guess USPS deals with hokey addresses often but the majority of the sorting data was right so I guess it worked out) was a third.  

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Guess no part of the settlement for me them !
Maybe they'll update the ..furnisher..of information. .sometime or another ! Haven't yet !
FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.