John Oliver on Credit Reports

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: John Oliver on Credit Reports

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Yeah pulling your reports is the first step but it seems like getting the wrong ones out is nothing short of a bear !

Well look at it this way, at least you can do something about bad information... good, legitimate information vis a vis my California State Tax Lien, well... that would be the obvious reason that my scores are still so low even with all the time I've spent and knowledge I've gained on this forum since my registration date. Cat Tongue

I'd trade some nasty ID fraud issues for my tax lien, any day, every day, multiple times even.

I guess sometimes you're just plain out of luck; unfortunate things happen and often they're not simply possible to get away from. 

But think of it this way, what if this lien belonged to someone else but you were forced to pay the penalties for it because it appeared on your reports?

I hope your derogs get sorted out Smiley Happy

Nah, if it belonged to someone else it wouldn't be that difficult to get it discharged as filed in error.  Everything is in the consumer's favor if a mistake is made, that much at least is righteous in the system even if it's awkward sometimes to get it resolved... certainly doesn't take as much time to correct as if it's legitimate and the creditor won't budge on any sort of delete.

I paid up my tax lien more than 5 years ago, it's just all over but for the crying for the next year and change haha.  Going to be a truly outstanding day when it falls off finally. Smiley Happy

        
Message 11 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: John Oliver on Credit Reports

@Revelate wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Yeah pulling your reports is the first step but it seems like getting the wrong ones out is nothing short of a bear !

Well look at it this way, at least you can do something about bad information... good, legitimate information vis a vis my California State Tax Lien, well... that would be the obvious reason that my scores are still so low even with all the time I've spent and knowledge I've gained on this forum since my registration date. Cat Tongue

I'd trade some nasty ID fraud issues for my tax lien, any day, every day, multiple times even.

I guess sometimes you're just plain out of luck; unfortunate things happen and often they're not simply possible to get away from. 

But think of it this way, what if this lien belonged to someone else but you were forced to pay the penalties for it because it appeared on your reports?

I hope your derogs get sorted out Smiley Happy

Nah, if it belonged to someone else it wouldn't be that difficult to get it discharged as filed in error.  Everything is in the consumer's favor if a mistake is made, that much at least is righteous in the system even if it's awkward sometimes to get it resolved... certainly doesn't take as much time to correct as if it's legitimate and the creditor won't budge on any sort of delete.

I paid up my tax lien more than 5 years ago, it's just all over but for the crying for the next year and change haha.  Going to be a truly outstanding day when it falls off finally. Smiley Happy

Well your current scores are already pretty good, so I guess once that one falls off you'll be soaring towards the 800 club Smiley Happy

However according to Oliver's episode, it's the wrong entries that seem pretty difficult to correct. I've no doubt that "steps" are in place, but not sure if they're always properly taken.

I for one, cannot for my life get an online EQ report, put / lift a freeze. Phone doesn't work for me either. "The system can't verify me".

It's always snail mail. And that looks and sounds dangerous. Thanks to a member of this forum (Creditaddict) I was able to get a contact of an EQ employee who handles such requests. Since then I've sent that person emails and verification details to get anything done "online" through EQ.

According to that person and their team, everything's fine in my report. I've also checked the paper copies (only ones I get) and everything seems fine. Still, every time I try ordering a report online, the systems fails to verify me. So far, it's been a minor inconvenience for me, and ever since CK started including EQ reports and I became a member of DCU to get free EQ04, monitoring has been fairly event-free. It's been over 3 years now, and still nothing from them, but I've stopped pushing.

However, if the tech team couldn't resolve this minor issue, I don't find it hard to believe that there exists at least a few cases (from Jon Oliver's report, there are too many) where our standard recipe of getting errors fixed just doesn't work. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.