Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

John Oliver on Credit Reports

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

John Oliver on Credit Reports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRrDsbUdY_k

Credit reports are accurate only 95% of the time. So about 10 million people are SOL. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: John Oliver on Credit Reports

@Ghoshida wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRrDsbUdY_k

Credit reports are accurate only 95% of the time. So about 10 million people are SOL. 

Misread as usual hah.

Step 1 is always pull your reports heh.

        
Message 2 of 12
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

You posted the video before I could, dang!
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 3 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Yeah pulling your reports is the first step but it seems like getting the wrong ones out is nothing short of a bear !

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

its crazy how they weren't able to help that lady tho. i feel like with proper documentation they should be able to remove wrong information from a report or at least fix what was wrong

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

its crazy how they weren't able to help that lady tho. i feel like with proper documentation they should be able to remove wrong information from a report or at least fix what was wrong

It took me awhile to fix my EQ. I had 2 social security numbers and 2 names. Same last name but diffrent first names. It was a mess forvabout 6 months, and then i had to have the collections removed for some guy named thomas. 

The crazy thing was is i had gone to my credit union for a loan, the gave me a copy of my credit report. I didnt think much of it ( this was before i found myfico) 

On day i was reading on this site and grabbed the report my cu gave me and started going over it. I had noticed a second set of numbers. So i called eq to ask what it was, they asked me for my SS# and i gave them my number and they said they didnt have that. I said well try this one and read the second set of numbers and their i was i was pretty furious to say the least. Well there wasnt much they could do for me. 

So i went up to the CU and asked to see the loan officer who did my loan. I shouwed her the report and asked what those numbers were, she responded "i don't know" i said thats a second social security number thats not mine. And then asked how can she be a loan officer approving my loan and in a position to read my report if she doesnt even know what the numbers where. 

I then had to jump through hoops to get it all corrected and get the SS# off my report alomg with the name, and collections. 

I still have EX to do also because they have a name on my CR thats so messed up it can't even be a real name. 

Gsipthy then my current last name...lol

Message 6 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Always amazes me how the reports can be so off, then the rough orocess at times go get things corrected can be so challenging.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Ghoshida wrote:

Yeah pulling your reports is the first step but it seems like getting the wrong ones out is nothing short of a bear !

Well look at it this way, at least you can do something about bad information... good, legitimate information vis a vis my California State Tax Lien, well... that would be the obvious reason that my scores are still so low even with all the time I've spent and knowledge I've gained on this forum since my registration date. Cat Tongue

I'd trade some nasty ID fraud issues for my tax lien, any day, every day, multiple times even.

        
Message 8 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It took me awhile to fix my EQ. I had 2 social security numbers and 2 names. Same last name but diffrent first names. It was a mess forvabout 6 months, and then i had to have the collections removed for some guy named thomas. 

The crazy thing was is i had gone to my credit union for a loan, the gave me a copy of my credit report. I didnt think much of it ( this was before i found myfico) 

On day i was reading on this site and grabbed the report my cu gave me and started going over it. I had noticed a second set of numbers. So i called eq to ask what it was, they asked me for my SS# and i gave them my number and they said they didnt have that. I said well try this one and read the second set of numbers and their i was i was pretty furious to say the least. Well there wasnt much they could do for me. 

So i went up to the CU and asked to see the loan officer who did my loan. I shouwed her the report and asked what those numbers were, she responded "i don't know" i said thats a second social security number thats not mine. And then asked how can she be a loan officer approving my loan and in a position to read my report if she doesnt even know what the numbers where. 

I then had to jump through hoops to get it all corrected and get the SS# off my report alomg with the name, and collections. 

I still have EX to do also because they have a name on my CR thats so messed up it can't even be a real name. 

Gsipthy then my current last name...lol

There seems to be a lot of pretty lame stuff going on, in my opinion, that just seem so obvious to correct that it's insane. 

But I guess when you have people involved in the process, human error cannot be eliminated. That, with the massive lack of oversight, these data "repositories" can get away with doing whatever they want. 

Message 9 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Well look at it this way, at least you can do something about bad information... good, legitimate information vis a vis my California State Tax Lien, well... that would be the obvious reason that my scores are still so low even with all the time I've spent and knowledge I've gained on this forum since my registration date. Cat Tongue

I'd trade some nasty ID fraud issues for my tax lien, any day, every day, multiple times even.

I guess sometimes you're just plain out of luck; unfortunate things happen and often they're not simply possible to get away from. 

But think of it this way, what if this lien belonged to someone else but you were forced to pay the penalties for it because it appeared on your reports?

I hope your derogs get sorted out Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.