cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kmart credit "giving" glitch gone wrong....

tag
majesty
New Contributor

Kmart credit "giving" glitch gone wrong....

How come the insiders didn't inform you guys of the credit opportunities at Kmart and Sears during Black Friday...lol ...................................................................................... Computer Glitch Leads To Kmart Brawl 2 People Arrested POSTED: 9:35 am EST November 27, 2007 Computer Glitch Leads To Kmart Brawl] [EMAIL: Computer Glitch Leads To Kmart Brawl] WAUWATOSA, Wis. -- A weekend melee at a Kmart store in Wauwatosa was started by a computer glitch. 'Free Money' Causes Brawl The store was running a promotion to give away $10 to anyone applying for its credit card, but the computer glitch led to everyone's application being approved, giving up to $4,000 in instant credit to anyone who applied, even if they shouldn't have qualified. Once word started to spread about the so-called "free money" Saturday, witnesses said, things started to go wild inside the Wauwatosa store, WISN-TV in Milwaukee reported. "They were having a big fight. Two ladies was jumping a lady over credit cards," witness Sylvester Wilson said. Nearly a dozen Wauwatosa squad cars responded to the call just before 11 a.m. Saturday. "It was a nice brawl. It came from inside to outside. If you go up there, you'll see hair, earrings, all pulled out on the ground," Wilson said. What started as a fight between two women in the crowded store evolved when several men intervened. A store employee got punched in the nose and crashed through a glass display case. He was treated for a broken nose and various cuts. A 22-year-old man and a 16-year-old teenager were arrested and accused of battery. Meantime, Kmart were trying to clear up the credit card mess. Two employees confirmed for police that anyone who applied was given instant credit -- from $850 up to $4,000. They also told police that people started calling other people to the store for so-called "free money." The store ran out of credit applications. One witness told police someone went to another Kmart, got some applications there and was selling them in the Wauwatosa Kmart parking lot for $20 apiece. Kmart would not comment on how many people got the credit cards who shouldn't have or how much merchandise they were able to buy with them. The store did put a stop to it, though. There are signs on the door saying the store is not processing credit card applications at this time. Citibank, which issues the Kmart cards, did not return calls asking if this happened nationwide. A corporate relations person for Sears said he could not talk about the specific incident but said it was not a national problem. Sears Holding Co. is the parent company of Kmart and Sears. Charges for the suspects in custody could be issued Tuesday.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Kmart credit "giving" glitch gone wrong....

Sounds like Juniper with added fisticuffs!  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 17
SJP57
Established Member

lolol...thats too funny...$10.00...they're smart......if the system didnt crash!..

Starting Score: 586
Current Score: 732
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 17
gNaRKiLL
Regular Contributor

How can people be so dumb. Its a freaking credit card, there is no "free" money there you have to pay it back with rediculous interest.  The people there must be total retards to be fighting over credit applications. 
Message 4 of 17
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

gNaRKiLL wrote:
How can people be so dumb. Its a freaking credit card, there is no "free" money there you have to pay it back with rediculous interest.  The people there must be total retards to be fighting over credit applications. 

The $10 was free  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 17
majesty
New Contributor

I didn't post all the links however the "meele" was so outrageous that people were getting approved for credit using fake names and addresses..... Very little chance that most involved ever intend to pay for anything... Definitely a case of instant credit gone terribly wrong...lol
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

gNaRKiLL wrote:

Hey hey hey!! I am from the area (though I haven't been near there in over 10 years) and trust that all people are not "total retards". This could have happened anywhere especially in a holiday season. Folks are nutts everywhere.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Omg- in one this is too funny- and yet sad too. However, I am wondering what person thought of the 10.00 "free money" - they should have known something like this would happen...

maybe later when I feel better I'll  tell you about when I used to work at JCP when they used to pay us 1.00 per app whether the person used to be approved or not- plus an extra 100.00 when you reached a 100-

I used to clean house!! The other ladies would get soooooooooo mad at me!! They were jealous though!!
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember years back, maybe 15 or more, an ATM at a bank in the D.C. area was giving $20 in lieu of $10. A bank employee loaded $20s where they shoulda loaded $10s. News crews caught some of it on film, and they noted in the story that if you were one of the "lucky ones" to get "free money", the bank knew about the mix up and your account WOULD get debited for the amount you received.
Message 9 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

And once again, this is from the company (Citi) who won't increase the CL on my Sears MC, who won't GW my late, and who restricts me from using my full $775 CL, because they think that I'm laundering money.

They ran their CEO out for screwing up so badly. Good thing that the ruling family of Abu Dhabi just bought a 4.9% interest, saving Citi's patootie. The second largest chunk of Citi is owned by Prince Walid bin Talal of Saudi Arabia.

Just GW my freakin' late, people. Because right now, it looks like I manage my credit a heck of a lot better than you do.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.