Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenders slow to offer help with mortgages

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lenders slow to offer help with mortgages

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/sbrown/stories/DN-recol_26bus.ART.State.E...

A study by Moody's found that only 1 percent of subprime loan servicers had modified adjustable loans to help out strapped borrowers.
One big mortgage company that bragged about its high loan modification rate later fessed up that it was counting deed-backs in lieu of foreclosure as a "modified" loan.
Countrywide has disclosed that about 500,000 of its borrowers are having trouble making payments.
But by some estimates, 2 million U.S. homeowners are facing foreclosure.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dizzier
Established Contributor

Re: Lenders slow to offer help with mortgages

you know i don't understand this. wouldn't it be in their favor to lock in or extend the current rate rather then let it default and have to deal with foreclosure?

It just seems to me that this all could have been avoided by just helping people. if the banks were doing well before the credit increases and are suffering now because of the foreclosures and defaults it just seems to make sense that reverting back would save their earnings.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

dizzier wrote:
wouldn't it be in their favor to lock in or extend the current rate rather then let it default and have to deal with foreclosure?

It just seems to me that this all could have been avoided by just helping people.

You are absolutely correct. However, lenders often exhibit hubris when it comes to defaults. They seem to believe they'll appear weak and soft and more "unscrupulous borrowers" will pile on and take advantage of them if they don't hold firm. And we all know there's no such thing as a predatory lender. Borrowers are definitely the little guys who need protection. Yeah, right.

In the video Maxed Out, there's a guy who used to work in banking. I believe he's the one in Ohio who's mother-in-law took her own life over debt. He commented how the banking industry has changed in recent years. Long gone are the days of George Bailey and the Bailey Building and Loan--assuming they ever existing. Banks aren't looking to hire people who understand finance, money, fiscal restraint, responsible borrowing, et al. They want people who have sales experience, and they want you to sell, sell, sell, sell, sell. If you have sales experience, in any field, banks probably wanna talk to you. If you have management experience in sales, then banks probably wanna hire you to run a branch.

Almost every time I walk into the branch, I get a sales pitch. Me personally, being so warped, I get a kick outta it. And it's fun to have hot girls borderline hitting on me. The sales pitches almost reach that point. For the same reason I have fun at telemarketers expense. If it weren't for my wife complaining to me about telemarketers, I'd take our phone number OUT of the donotcall.gov list for my own perverse pleasure when they call.

DW and I got a monitored security system. Salesman was talking about how he'd worked in banking for a while, but he said upper management pressured everyone to sell regardless of whether it made fiscal sense or not. He said that's why he got out of that racket.

Message 3 of 6
dizzier
Established Contributor

this is a rather unique kind of crazy. These companies would rather file bankruptcy than go back into profit. LOL

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 4 of 6
stpn2me
Frequent Contributor

Personally,

I think the banks should get what's coming to them. What should have been looked at, was could a borrower afford the house at a raised rate? If not, DONT GIVE THEM THE LOAN. Duh. Of course almost anyone could afford a house at 1% interest, who couldn't? Common sense went out the window, I dont think anyone should be "helped" unless they really can afford higher and qualify at the higher rate, they should have known better...
TU - 673 EQ - 672 EX - 669 as of 13 Nov 2015
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Banks preferring BK rather than profit!  I love it...Wouldn't that be great to see a new visitor to the forum with the handle 'WaMuCEO'?  I could just see the post:

Hi, I'm new to myfico, but in the last five minutes have figured out that money, not bankruptcy, is the key to my success!  Any thoughts?  haha...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.