Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MORTGAGE MELTDOWN TO HIT CREDIT CARD USERS

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

MORTGAGE MELTDOWN TO HIT CREDIT CARD USERS

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/10/how-credit-card.html

"Delinquencies and defaults are soaring," said Robert Manning, author of the book “Credit Card Nation.”
He said believes some major credit card issuers might not survive the current crisis. "They suspended the financial laws of gravity and put individual households on steroids,” he said. “... Now (banks) don't really know what to do."

One thing they are doing, said Bill Hardekopf, who operates LowCards.com, is finding excuses to lower consumers credit limits.

"What issuers do is tighten up standards of how they analyze risk," he said. The simplest way to reduce risk, he said, is to reduce credit limits. Card issuers never reveal their strategies publicly, so it's never immediately obvious what's happening behind the scenes, Hardekopf said. But he believes efforts have begun to systematically reduce some users' credit limits, akin to a quiet change earlier this year which saw many cardholders' interest rates mysteriously rise.

Asked if Bank of America is using new criteria to lower credit limits, spokeswoman Betty Reiss said, "We adjust credit card limits based on the individual cardholder's risk profile and performance with us." She declined to answer additional questions. Capital One and JP Morgan Chase did not respond to requests for interviews.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: MORTGAGE MELTDOWN TO HIT CREDIT CARD USERS

Sounds like other cc companies will be following the AMEX profiling model.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 5
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I think Amex is reacting more quickly and more harshly, but I do see a lot of it coming from all CCCs in the next few months
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup.
Message 4 of 5
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:
I think Amex is reacting more quickly and more harshly, but I do see a lot of it coming from all CCCs in the next few months
Amex is in a more precarious position than the other majors because it doesn't have a deposit base to look to. It depends primarily on commercial paper, and commercial paper is getting harder to come by and more expensive.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.