Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massachusetts Requires Creditors to Validate Consumer Debts

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Massachusetts Requires Creditors to Validate Consumer Debts

From the article:

If the debtor or the debtor’s attorney notifies the creditor in writing within the 30-day period that the debt is disputed, the creditor must cease collection of the debt until the creditor verifies the debt and provides the debtor or any attorney for the debtor with copies of: (a) all documents, including electronic records or images, which bear the signature of the debtor and which concern the debt being collected; (b) a ledger, account card, account statement copy, or similar record, whether paper or electronic, which reflects the date and amount of payments, credits, balances, and charges concerning the debt, including but not limited to interest, fees, charges or expenses incidental to the principal obligation which the creditor is expressly authorized to collect by the agreement creating the debt or permitted to collect by law; (c) the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the collecting creditor; and (d) a copy of any judgment against the debtor. If the creditor does not possess, have custody of, or control these materials, the creditor must cease collection of the debt until the creditor has made reasonable efforts to obtain them and provide them to the debtor.

http://www.insidearm.com/opinion/massachusetts-first-state-to-require-creditors-to-validate-consumer...

Great model for what should be provided, let's see if it survives legal challenge.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Massachusetts Requires Creditors to Validate Consumer Debts

I notice the article calls the MA rules "onerous." For the debt collection industry I will play my new nanotechnology violin.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.