Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard's new card with finger print scanner

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: MasterCard launches biometric fingerprint Scanner on card

@Anonymous wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/thehackernews.com/2017/04/mastercard-fingerprint-payment-card.html%3Famp%3D1

PIN fallback?   Interesting that the article cites the need for this if you want a family member to use your card (which I didn't think MC/Visa would want!) but any time you allow a fallback, you ruin the enhanced security  (much like US chip cards mainly using signature rather than PIN)

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great and between sweat and my finger prints being filed, now I can't use my Master Cards!
Message 12 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/thehackernews.com/2017/04/mastercard-fingerprint-payment-card.html%3Famp%3D1

PIN fallback?   Interesting that the article cites the need for this if you want a family member to use your card (which I didn't think MC/Visa would want!) but any time you allow a fallback, you ruin the enhanced security  (much like US chip cards mainly using signature rather than PIN)

I don't know how they couldn't have the fallbck given it likely will have the same issues as the iPhone... it just doesn't work in all cases with sweat or whatever as Dino mentions, and having to to wash and dry my hands for my phone is one thing (though I usually just use the PIN entry) but for a credit card, that's a non-starter.

I don't know how, if, or when that reliability issue will be solved either to where you wouldn't need some form of fallback.  I'm not certain it's equally insecure though, if the PIN never gets used it's hard to get captured for malfeasance other than the truly stupid implementations we've seen storing PINs on cards or similar.

Actually I suspect a lot more people have access to my fingerprints though being able to use that is a different story, I may have watched too many crime dramas on that point Cat Tongue

        
Message 13 of 21
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

What if you injured your thumb and it has a bandage on it or a cast?

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MasterCard's new card with finger print scanner

Then you have a problem. Biometrics will fail to read a fingerprint even if you get some pen ink or something on your print. Cuts can impact your print for a week or longer.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Following on Revelate's comments, anybody that was in the Military was finger printed upon entry so one's finger prints already exist in some data base.
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's true, but what percentage of the population has been in the military?

Message 17 of 21
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: MasterCard Testing Chip-And-Fingerprint Payment Verification

@Anonymous wrote:

@rmm140 wrote:

In theory it sounds great. I just see so many problems with this though. First of which being how well it works in day to day use. What happens when it fails? Are you going to now have to follow your waiter at the restaurant you're at to their spot in the back area to enter your fingerprint so the card works? Etc etc etc. The chip thing has been a pain just from the wait time at the register at most places. Then, there are lots of stores who still don't even use the chip. Seems like a nightmare. I get they're trying to protect their money (even though they will push it as added security for us lol) but I don't want to be inconvenienced by it so...

In theory restaurants are supposed to get the portable wireless terminals like in other countries, but that hasn't happened (and likely won't happen in nearly as large numbers as it should). Based on the equipment I've seen installed at restaurants around here, I suspect we'll transition to a mostly pay at the front model and still not bother with wireless terminals if we ever go beyond chip and signature.

I don't eat out often but the only place I've seen it has been Chilli's. And it sure beats going to the front.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MasterCard Testing Chip-And-Fingerprint Payment Verification

@mitchblue wrote:

I don't eat out often but the only place I've seen it has been Chilli's. And it sure beats going to the front.

Yeah, Chili's has been on this for 2-3 years now.  It's super convenient as a customer to be able to pay at the table right when you're ready and you also have the benefit of the peace of mind knowing that no one else has touched your card.

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's true, but what percentage of the population has been in the military?

Less every year since there are so many less in the Military now.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.