MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

MasterCard to Stop Requiring Signatures

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MasterCard to Stop Requiring Signatures

I suspect there isn't any desire by any major banks in the US to ever adopt PIN. At least we're acknowledging that signatures are kind of a waste of time and effort, so progress?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect there isn't any desire by any major banks in the US to ever adopt PIN. At least we're acknowledging that signatures are kind of a waste of time and effort, so progress?

My real concern about the true "Chip & Pin" in the United States is opening the flood gates and holding the cardholder responsible for any fraud or improper transactions. It would only go along with sticking the card holder and letting the financial institutions off the hook. Understand in other parts of the world where there is a true chip and pin process the liability shifts to the card holder.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My real concern about the true "Chip & Pin" in the United States is opening the flood gates and holding the cardholder responsible for any fraud or improper transactions. It would only go along with sticking the card holder and letting the financial institutions off the hook. Understand in other parts of the world where there is a true chip and pin process the liability shifts to the card holder.

I doubt that'd happen with the way our laws are currently set up. Also, I believe the UK at least now has similar laws to us in that regard, so banks there aren't allowed to make the cardholders liable.

Message 4 of 6
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I recently tried to put a travel advisory on my Cap1 Venture.  When you try to that on the website, they come back with {paraphrasing} "Your card has Chip technology, so when your card is used, we know its you.  There's no need to let us know when you're traveling."

Doesn't really inspire me with confidence... Especially since my wife just had her (chip) Chase card compromised with an IN PERSON swipe at Jack in the Box in California (we live in Wisconsin).

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 6
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:

I recently tried to put a travel advisory on my Cap1 Venture.  When you try to that on the website, they come back with {paraphrasing} "Your card has Chip technology, so when your card is used, we know its you.  There's no need to let us know when you're traveling."

Doesn't really inspire me with confidence... Especially since my wife just had her (chip) Chase card compromised with an IN PERSON swipe at Jack in the Box in California (we live in Wisconsin).

And then Cap1 sends you an email saying you have to validate a purchase or they will freeze your card because it's outside of your normal territory.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.