More Merchants Set Credit Card Minimums For Purchases

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

More Merchants Set Credit Card Minimums For Purchases

http://www.newsnet5.com/station/13756233/detail.html

POSTED: 6:16 pm EDT July 25, 2007
UPDATED: 6:38 pm EDT July 25, 2007

CLEVELAND -- More and more shoppers are pulling out their plastic these days only to be told that the purchase is too small to put on a credit card.

NewsChannel5's John Matarese reported that some stores, bars and restaurants are imposing a credit card minimum.

Dan Lindemann found that out when he was dining out one day and received his bill.

My tab came to $17.50 and the bartender just rounded it up to $20, because they have a $20 minimum on credit cards," said Lindemann.

He said he had to pay a surcharge simply because he didn't have any cash with him that night.

"I don't carry cash, they don't have an ATM, so I was pretty much stuck paying $20," Lindemann said.

It's a growing trend: restaurants and convenience store set the minimums to avoid processing fees on small purchases.

The manager of a pub said it has a sign warning about the minimum and that it's legal, but Visa and MasterCard have very clear policies.

Both companies said merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transactions, and if it happens to you, you should complain to your card's issuer.

While it's not illegal, Lindemann feels it's not right.

"Two dollars is not that big a deal. It's the principle. If they're doing it to me, they're doing it to other people," he said.

If you feel a credit card minimum is unfair, complain to the owner or manager. If they won't help, let them know you plan to contact your credit card company.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: More Merchants Set Credit Card Minimums For Purchases

This is far worse than ratejacking. No tips for the bartender or cocktail waitress, let's see how long they keep working for an establishment doing this.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen that sign at a diner that we go to. It has been there for at least 8 years now. I nevery paid attention to it as  I have never used my CC there but this is good to know. And yes I will report if  it I am ever told this.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen merchants post $5 minimum, which seems reasonable. However, it's interesting that the CCCs say they can't under their agreement with VISA/MC.

$20 minimum seems rather steep, and downright dishonest if they don't post it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.